Monday, March 12, 2018

LA CRUISIN’


March 5-7, 2018

I got up early to run on Monday and then spent most of the day working on my blog.  It felt like I hadn’t done much the week before, but it added up to quite a bit when I was writing about it.
Running on the Breakwater at Dawn
I had dinner with Betty at the La Cruz Inn and then we went to Ana Banana’s to hear Soul Trip.  They were good, as always, and played some nice blues.  They drew a big crowd and the bar had set up extra tables in the dirt off to the side.  We stayed for a couple of sets and then headed home.

Tuesday, I had intended to go to Walmart to purchases ingredients to make a cake for Cherie’s birthday.  It turned out that Bobby, Cherie and Eddie were headed that way in Eddie’s minivan, so I caught a ride with them.  We stopped at the cellular hospital in Bucerias to pick up Eddie’s wife’s computer and then drive to Mezcales to deliver some of Bobby’s artwork to his sister who has a house there.
Ben and Carol's Pool in Mezcales

Bobby’s sister, Carol, and her husband, Ben, own a fourplex in Mezcales.  They rent three of the units to other Canadians during the season.  They had a nice, saltwater pool and a great outdoor kitchen.  The whole place was decorated with lots of local artwork.  Cherie, Bobby, and I took a swim.  It was fun to see their place.  I didn’t usually have a reason to visit a residential neighborhood in Mezcales, so that was interesting.

The Walmart in Nuevo Vallarta
From Ben and Carol’s, we took the back way to Walmart and did a little shopping.  I ran around and tried to disguise the fact that I was buying cake ingredients from Cherie.  I wanted the cake to be a surprise.  Between the side trips and the visiting, my trip to Walmart took all day and I didn’t even get to go to the music store.  It was past 5:00 by the time we got back.  I fried up some potatoes with leftover arrachera and stayed in for the evening.

I was awake half the night, so didn’t get up in time to run on Wednesday morning.  I puttered around the house and then left about noon to go to the stationery store and print out some song sheets on my way to the marina for my music circle.  I also stopped at the Octopus’s Garden to buy tickets for a couple of upcoming concerts.

Part of our music group had sailed away, but Jane from Chantey joined us with her accordion.  It was almost too windy to play, but we had a good time, anyway.  Rick and Marilyn were due to head north on Friday, but Jane and I agreed to carry on the following week.

I had a hot walk back up to the house and then spent the rest of the afternoon writing and lounging.

March 8, 2018

Improvised Birthday Cake
Cherie went sailing on Thursday, so I stayed home and baked her a birthday cake.  I couldn’t find real cake pans anywhere, so used a glass baking dish.  The dish was too small and the batter overflowed and made a mess in the oven.  The oven had temperature measured in Celsius and probably wasn’t accurate anyway.  It took forever to get done and then was gooey on top and burned on the bottom.  At least it didn’t stick to the pan.  I turned it out, trimmed off the burned bits, cut it in half, and made a square layer cake.  It wasn’t the most beautiful cake I ever produced, but it tasted good and I somehow managed to keep it a secret from Cherie.


Don and I went out for dinner at the Ballena Blanca and then went to see Paris Can Wait at the free movie night in the marina.

March 9, 2018

Friday was Cherie’s birthday and she went to spend the day with friends at a local beach club.  I stayed home to practice the guitar, since she and our friend, Bobby, were urging me to play at the open mic at Rhythm and Blues, a bar in Bucerias.
Mexican Train Dominoes

I went to my Friday evening domino game at the marina.  We had a large and boisterous crowd and it was much wilder than usual.  The marina was full and everyone was there.  I avoided the margaritas they were serving, as they were made with scary blue tequila and I had drinking to do later.  I left at 7:00 and walked home to meet my housemates as the sun was setting.

Me Playing at Rhythm & Blues
We got to Bucerias just as the music was starting and I signed up to play.  Bobby was already there and was slated to play second.  I went third.  I was nervous, as I wasn’t used to playing and singing into microphones, but I relaxed after the first song.  The noisy crowd got very quiet when I launched into Bob Dylan’s 2018 version of The Times They Are A’ Changing. I had them after that.  The owner and the sound guy were very helpful, complimentary, and encouraging.  They even comped my (non-alcoholic) drink.  I felt guilty about singing and running, but it was getting late and Cherie wanted to go out for a crepe dinner.  I made my apologies and promised to stay longer the next time.

Cherie and I went to Casa Triskell in Bucerias for dinner.  The restaurant was very French and we sat outside at a little bistro table on a terrace overlooking the street.  I had a fabulous crepe with two kinds of cheese, bacon, honey, and walnuts.  It came with a nice green salad served in a bowl made from a baked crepe.  It was a very enjoyable meal.

Cherie Making a Wish
There were two bands battling for supremacy across the street and a third one started up towards the end of the meal.  It was cacophonous.  In the middle of that crazy noise, a Mexican band started up down the street and blew all three of them away with their tuba.  It was hilarious.  I was just glad they had waited until after I had played.  I made a mental note not to try to play in Bucerias after 9:00 pm.  I had never been in that part of Bucerias at night before and it was pretty wild.  The Canadians were partying.

We had planned to go to Ana Bananas to dance after dinner, but people had been buying Cherie drinks all day and night and she was ready to go home.  Having consumed a single glass of wine, I drove home.  It was the first time I had driven in Bucerias, but I managed to negotiate the narrow, one way, often blocked streets and get us home in one piece.  I was proud of myself.  It had been a very full day.

Once we got home, we lit the birthday candle and enjoyed sour cream chocolate cake.

March 10, 2018

The New Outside Seating at Las Palapas
I was sitting at the kitchen table on Saturday morning, when a strange woman walked in.  She turned out to be Cherie’s friend, Kundra, who had stopped by for a visit on her way back to Yelapa from San Miguel.  I had already eaten, but we decided to go to Las Palapas for breakfast.  I went along for coffee and the view, as Las Palapas is at La Manzanilla Beach and it was a beautiful morning.  The restaurant had made improvements to their outside seating area.  Cherie and Kundra enjoyed the buffet and I had a cup of rather miserable coffee.  After breakfast, we took a nice walk on the beach.

Geo and Lobo at the Octopus' Garden
I did little other than pick up a few items from the grocery store for the rest of the afternoon.  Don and I joined some other friends at the Octopus’ Garden, that evening, to see Geo and Lobo play.  I had a fabulous bowl of etouffee for dinner.  The music was great and the surroundings magical but, unfortunately, the next door neighbors started playing banda music about half way through the show and it was a battle after that.  One flamenco guitar and one violin had a hard time competing against the horns and drums next door.  It was a shame.  Still, we managed to enjoy the music and Geo and Lobo got two standing ovations.  It was the first time I had seen Geo play that season and I was glad to see him without the electronic gadgetry that he favored.  Lobo brought
him back to basics and we could enjoy his skill and passion without distraction.

March 11, 2018

Break Dancer at the Market
I got up late on Sunday morning because there were people in the kitchen and I wasn’t feeling social.  Eventually, I got up and visited with Cherie and Bobby while I did a load of laundry.  By the time I hung it out to dry, it was time to walk down to the market.  Cherie and I got juice and something to eat and sat and listened to the band for a bit. Three break dancers were spinning around on a mat spread over the sand.  One of them even had a break dancing dog.  I bought some porchetta and a loaf of sourdough bread and then we walked over to the Green Tomate to listen to the Crazy Boys for a bit.  We stayed for one drink and then went home.  The Green Tomate is a great location, but the music is just too loud.
Colorful Wares at the Sunday Market

I spent the afternoon practicing the guitar and then made Spanish rice and chicken with guajillo sauce for dinner.  I was home alone for most of the evening and it was very peaceful.  I got a chance to catch up on my blog and watch a little Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment