Sunday, April 15, 2018

FROM LA CRUZ ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO PLAYA DEL CARMEN



April 2, 2018

Our friend, John, had lost his ATM card in the machine at the HSBC in Bucerias on Friday night, so had been unable to withdraw pesos.  Since it had been my experience that banks in Mexico will never return your card for security reasons (although I did once get mine back in Costa Rica when the power went out during a withdrawal), I suggested that John call his bank first.  It turned out that there was an issue with his account, although we had no idea why they should have confiscated his card.  

Still, John needed pesos, so we went to Bucerias on Monday morning to try to do something about it.
Don needed to see Dr. Alma about some new glasses, so we stopped there first.  She was swamped after a three-day weekend, but he was able to make an appointment for the following day.  He then wanted cash, so we stopped at the CI Bank because we had heard they had the lowest fees.  Unfortunately, their ATMs were out of service.  We continued on down the highway to the Bancomer by the Chedraui because we had been told that they would change dollars.  After waiting in a very long line, we learned that they only change Canadian dollars.  They told us to go back to the CI Bank to change U.S. dollars.  We decided that Don and I could sell John any pesos he might need for another day and crossed the highway to visit the Santander bank where I got some cash for my upcoming trip.  A quick stop at the HSBC confirmed my opinion that John would never see his ATM card again.
Not Sure What KFC Would Think About This

Having finished our tour of banks in Bucerias, we were hungry.  We stopped at the little hole in the wall Cocina Economica I had discovered on an earlier trip to Bucerias and had a nice breakfast.  Not being used to the way things are done in Mexico, John and the restaurant employees kept getting their signals crossed.  This particular restaurant serves instant coffee. If you order it with milk, they heat the milk for you.  Not knowing this, John ordered and made coffee and then asked for milk.  I did my best to tell them we just needed a little bit, but they insisted on making a whole second cup of hot milk.  Then John asked for a glass of water.  They had to run to the corner store to get bottled water for him.  He was frustrated and they were trying very hard to please.  It was uncomfortable for a while.  I had brought us into the one restaurant in Bucerias that does not cater to tourists!  I made coffee out of the remaining milk so it wouldn’t go to waste.  Fortunately, John didn’t say anything when his huevos rancheros came with corn tortillas instead of the flour he had ordered.

I left them after breakfast and hopped a bus for Mezcales.  I needed to buy a bus ticket for my trip to Guadalajara on Saturday.  I also stopped into the pharmacy next door and got a refill of my blood pressure medication.  I was able to purchase it over the counter.  It turned out to be a lower dose, but that was probably not a bad thing, since my blood pressure had been extremely low while in Mexico.  Another bus brought me home and I spent the rest of the afternoon preparing for my set at the Octopus’ Garden later that night.


Bill Playing at the Octopus' Garden
The Octopus’ Garden was having an open mic acoustic night.  I met Don and John there for dinner and my friend, Marc, joined us.  Alfredo had each performer do a sound check and made sure he had the proper microphones and/or cables for each of us.  I went third.  The first two musicians both played original music.  Bill played instrumentals and Leo played songs with lyrics in Spanish.  I played a mix of original and familiar tunes, including the one song I had written in Spanish.  It went well.  We started on a second round and Rusty inserted a set of his own songs.  My second set was once again a mix, although the audience seemed to really like my own songs.  I ended with Dylan’s The Times They Are A Changin’ 2018 and that was well received.  A couple more people arrived and played a few songs.  It was a very relaxed and pleasant evening.  We stayed until 10:30 or so.  I was sorry that I wouldn’t be around the following Monday night.




April 3, 2018

Tuesday was John’s last day in La Cruz, so we met at Cristi’s for breakfast.  We all liked her café and things went much more smoothly than the previous day.  After breakfast, Don headed off to see Dr. Alma and I said goodbye to John and went off to try (unsuccessfully) to make a nail appointment.  I found the salon closed, so stopped at the grocery store for a couple of items before walking home to spend a relaxing afternoon practicing the guitar and working on my blog post.  I even took a nap.  For the first time in weeks, I was asleep by 11:00.

April 4, 2018

Lazaro Cardenas Street Scene
Wednesday was the first day in what seemed like forever when I had no obligations.  I got up early and drank coffee while listening to the net.  Then I spent a long time practicing the guitar.  It was nice to be able to work on my actual guitar playing, rather than rehearsing for a performance.  Cherie was off on a motorcycle trip with a friend and the house was quiet.

Wednesday Market in Bucerias
My New Hat
About noon, I took a bus to Bucerias to pick up my new glasses.  Then I went to Chedraui to buy coffee filters.  I walked along Lazaro Cardenas on the way.  There was a Wednesday market going on and I stopped to look for a new hat.  With a place of my own in La Cruz, I                                                                                                                                            could finally buy a non-sailing hat without worrying about how I would get it home.  I looked at lots of hats but couldn’t find one big enough until I got to Chedraui where I actually found one for 50 pesos.  Now I could wear a hat without looking like a drowned rat. 


I considered stopping somewhere for lunch but decided to go home and make a bacon quesadilla instead.  I spent most of the remaining afternoon reading.

I had promised Cherie that I would meet the landlord at 6:00 when he was supposed to work on the door to our upstairs patio.  Actually, there was no door.  There was only an iron security gate.  Leaves, bugs, and animals were free to enter at will.  When the house was vacant, this created quite a mess.  The landlord’s solution was to line the door with a sheet of the insulating plastic they use on windows to keep out heat.  This would keep most things out, but we would need a second screen door if we wanted air.  Still, it was an improvement and they even caulked around the edges where the frame failed to meet the masonry.  Unfortunately, the frame was slightly warped and the door was difficult to close.  It had always been that way, so at least it was no worse.  We could work on that later.

By the time the door project was finished, it was too late to think about going out.  I heated up some leftover beef in green mole and ate dinner at home with my nose stuck in a book.  After dinner, I practiced a bit more and then wrote before sitting down to watch The Crown on Netflix.

April 5 – 6, 2018

I had no plans for the daylight hours of Thursday.  I listened to the net, ate breakfast and then spent the morning scrubbing the tile on the patio.  It was stained with all kinds of paint, tar, and glue, but I was able to wash away the fly specks, drink spills, and muddy footprints.  If I weren’t planning to leave in a couple days, a weekly mopping might have helped to keep it clean.

Once the patio was clean, I made some tostadas for lunch and then sat down to write and practice the guitar.

Don and I met for dinner at Tacos on the Street.  The restaurant had celebrated its twenty fifth anniversary the day before and I had missed the party because I had to supervise the modifications to our upstairs door.  The place was packed as always.  I had not been there since the previous year and found that while, before, their prices were higher than other taquerias, now they were comparable but the portions had gotten smaller.   The quality of the meat hadn’t changed, however, and their flan was creamy and excellent.
The Amphitheater at Sunset


After dinner, we strolled back to the boat to pick up cushions and then walked out to the amphitheater were the movie Geostorm was being shown.  The movie was somewhat predictable, but entertaining and it was a beautiful night with perfect weather.  There were noticeably fewer people than there had been the week before.  La Cruz was emptying out quickly.

Friday, I needed to pack and prepare for my upcoming trip.  I got up early and did laundry.  Our washing machine filled so slowly that we helped it by running the garden hose into it.  Otherwise, it would have taken an hour to fill.  This required one to pay attention, since the water needed to be turned off as soon as the machine started to agitate.  The whole process then needed to be repeated for the rinse cycle.  I made coffee while that was going on.

 As soon as my clothes were hung out to dry, I walked over the Gabriela’s salon to see about getting my nails done.  I found the gate lowered and a “for rent” sign on the shop.  Apparently, her operating two shops had only been temporary.  She had moved to Bucerias.  Normally, I would have just gone out there, but I was too busy.  I went to Cristi’s for a quick breakfast and then dropped by the workshop where they fabricate stainless steel because Don had been having trouble contacting them by telephone.  I found them busy cutting steel and decided not to bother them, but I let Don know they were there.

Next, I dropped by Jen and Gregg’s to say goodbye.  I found Casa Mango in an uproar because Jen and Gregg had just sold the house and all our friends were descending like vultures to purchase their furniture.  While I knew they had intended to sell the house, this seemed very sudden to me and kind of sad, although they assured me that they weren’t leaving La Cruz.  Maintaining that big house was just too much for them.  I purchased a set of bathroom shelves for 100 pesos. 

Don had texted back and requested that I talk to Geronimo, the steelworker, so I went back over there and determined that, yes, he could make Don a new anchor roller and would be there all day.  I informed Don and then carried my fortunately light shelves all the way across La Cruz to our house.  I must have looked a sight.  More than one usually friendly dog barked at me ferociously.  On the way, I stopped at another salon to make a nail appointment for later that afternoon.  I felt a little guilty for my disloyalty, but I was running out of time.
My New Nail Salon

I came back to town at 4:00 to get my nails done and then decided to head out to the marina to say goodbye to Betty.  As I was walking towards her boat, I realized that it was time for my Friday domino game.  I had had trouble getting there all season for one reason or another.  I was a little late, but still had time for several games with my friends and got a chance to say goodbye.

When the domino game broke up, I continued out to Betty’s boat and stayed there, talking with her, until it started to get dark.  I couldn’t raise Don, so went home and ate the last of my leftovers for dinner.  I stopped at the taxi stand at the top of Langosta and made a reservation for the next morning at 6:00.  I had learned the hard way that the taxis near the marina could not be relied upon to keep early morning engagements.  I read a bit and then went to bed early.  I had to get up early on Saturday to start my journey to Playa del Carmen.

April 7, 2018
I didn’t sleep well, knowing I had to get up early, so I had no trouble waking up at 5:15.  I got ready and actually had time to spare before the taxi arrived at six sharp.  We drove through the predawn darkness to the bus station in Mezcales.  Carlos had asked me why I wasn’t getting off at Tlaquepaque to which I had replied, “Because they don’t stop there.”  They don’t advertise stopping there, but I was curious, so I asked.  At first, they denied it, but then admitted that they could.  Another passenger overheard the conversation and said she wanted to go there, too.  I wasn’t certain it would happen, but thought it was worth a try, since it was closer to the airport.  The porters insisted that I check all my luggage, including my daypack.  I barely had time to grab my passport and medication.  Unfortunately, my map and snacks stayed in the pack.

The bus left at 7:15 and headed up the now familiar road past Sayulita and San Pancho and then up into the Jalisco highlands.  All the curtains were closed, but I caught glimpses of the blue agave fields as we passed.  Eventually, we entered the Guadalajara metropolitan area and I began to get restless.  Finally, the driver pulled off the highway and stopped at a taxi stand on the lateral.  I didn’t have my map and no one said, “Tlaquepaque,” but the woman who also wanted to go there was getting off, so I did, too.  I was reassured when the first taxista I saw shouted, “Aeropuerto, rapido!” 

T-Shirts at the Airport
I collected my belongings and climbed into the taxi.  It was still a fair distance to the airport, but only cost me a very fair 300 pesos, which was well below what I had budgeted for the transfer.  I arrived at the airport by 12:30.  I was way ahead of schedule.  Carlos wasn’t there yet (His watch was on Cabo time and he was an hour behind.),so I went to Starbucks and had a latte and a very dry limon scone that might once have been tasty.


Carlos arrived well before we started boarding and had managed to change his seat so that we could sit together.  Volaris is one of those “no frills” airlines and they charge you extra to get an assigned seat.  We had debated waiting until the airport and checking in together, but were afraid that all the seats would be taken by the time I got there.  By some miracle (or maybe because I had paid extra to check luggage) I was assigned an exit row seat.  Carlos managed to get the seat next to me, so we traveled in comfort and chatted with a Russian girl who had the window seat in our row.  The flight to Cancun took nearly three hours.  Even with paying extra for luggage, it had only cost me about $45.  The bus to Guadalajara had actually cost me more than the flight alone.

We arrived on time in Cancun and only had to wait half an hour or so for the collectivo to fill up enough to leave for Playa del Carmen.  The collectivo cost 340 pesos per person each way.  We could have had a private taxi for 1500 pesos round trip, which would have been a wash except that I wasn’t planning to return to the airport.

The collectivo dropped us off at Viva Azteca where I had requested my reservation.  Unfortunately, what I had received was a reservation at Viva Maya.  No one had said a thing to me about the change and I hadn’t noticed it when I made the reservation because I didn’t have a printer and hadn’t printed the confirmation.  I later learned that they had raised the cost of Viva Azteca and I didn't have enough points, but they should have said something.

The poor desk clerk at Viva Azteca eventually determined what had happened.  They were booked, so we couldn’t make a change, so we bundled into a taxi and paid 90 pesos to drive four doors down to Viva Maya.  We later learned this was probably fortunate, but was disappointing at the time.  I had stayed at Viva Maya before and wanted to check out the other resort.

Our Room at Viva Maya
The desk clerk at Viva Maya wasn’t nearly as accommodating and gave me a hassle because I didn’t have a copy of my confirmation.  I had it on my computer, but the computer refused to boot up and we had to summon a supervisor before we were finally able to check in.  I don’t know if it was because we were late or because we had irritated the clerk, but we didn’t get the usual welcome packet with the schedule of activities and invitation to reserve space at the restaurants for dinners.  We were tired and hungry, so skipped the bellboy and went straight to our room. Carlos was charmed by the mouse created out of a folded towel that had been placed on his bed.
Carlos' Mouse

Fortunately, we hadn’t missed dinner.   Neither of us had eaten lunch and it was then 9:00, so we were hungry.  We ate mediocre food in the dining hall and then went to the bar and ordered pinacoladas.  My status as an owner entitled us to top shelf liquor, but making a pinacolada any way other than the standard procedure proved disastrous.  My normal one was good, but Carlos’s proved undrinkable and we had to stop at the next bar for a replacement.  We walked around the resort and out the to beach.  A show was going on in the theater, but we were too tired to appreciate the noise and energy.  Having surveyed the layout of the resort, we returned to our room, watched a little TV, and crashed on our mercifully comfortable beds.






April 8, 2018

Espresso Bar at Viva Maya
Despite having to bed fairly early, we were late rising on Sunday morning.  By the time we stopped for coffee at the espresso bar and made our way to the dining hall, breakfast was nearly over.  There was a nice selection of breakfast foods and I enjoyed a couple of slices of French toast and a bowl of fruit.  My only complaint about pancakes and French toast in Mexico is that, since I don’t use syrup, I rely on butter to flavor them and the butter in Mexico is nearly always unsalted (or margarine) and tastes like nothing other than grease.  Knowing this, I grabbed some cream cheese and that worked fine.


We had time after breakfast to relax a bit before going to a merengue lesson at 12:30.  Carlos worked up an appetite dancing, so we went back to the dining hall after that.  I had a salad and a piece of focaccia, determined not to go crazy with the cruise ship-like abundance.  We were joined for lunch by our dance intructress, who we were sure was trying to figure us out.  Since I was a gringa old enough to be Carlos’ mother who spoke Spanish and he was a Mexican who spoke perfect English, but spoke Spanish with a different accent, we were a puzzle.

Adults' Pool at Viva Maya
Carlos needed to go to an Oxxo to pay his credit card bill.  Not having good mail service, most bills in Mexico arrive via a representative of the company and are paid in person. We borrowed bicycles from the resort and rode along the pleasant and mostly shady bike path to the center of Playa del Carmen where we found an Oxxo across from the ferry terminal.  That mission accomplished, we spent a couple of hours at the adults only pool near our room, mostly sitting in the lukewarm jacuzzi, talking to a couple from Kansas who were equally curious about our relationship.  They were actually staying at the Viva Azteca, but reported that it was overrun with children and had no adults only pool.  They had stayed at the Maya before and were of the opinion that we were fortunate to have been reassigned.


Agouti and Coati (long tail) Outside Our Room
We tried to go to a bachata lesson at 5:00, but it was cut short after a few minutes when the batteries in the boombox died.  We took that as a signal that it was happy hour, so got cocktails, picked up our books and went to the beach to read until dinnertime.  There was an agouti (kind of a cross between a rabbit and a deer) sneaking around under the mostly empty chaises, stealing French fries off abandoned plates.  The guests had been exhorted not to feed the animals, but no one had convinced the animals not to steal the humans’ food.  Several species of bird plagued the diners at the outdoor café and there were coatis, as well.


We had a reservation at the Italian restaurant, Miramare, located in a gargantuan palapa above the beach bar.  The food was excellent,but there were so many courses that I could only sample each of them.  I started with a cold creamy leek, zucchini, and avocado soup graced with melon balls and then proceeded to some delicious spinach and cheese ravioli.  Carlos had a salad and some lasagna, which wasn’t nearly as enticing as the ravioli, which were divine.  We both ordered the stuffed chicken breast for a second course.  Mine was served with a gorgonzola sauce so rich that I couldn’t eat even half of it.  When the desserts arrived, I could barely begin to eat mine, although it was amazing.  I had a cheese mousse with mixed berries served in a delicate bowl made of carmelized sugar and topped with both chocolate and raspberry sauces.  I really wanted to eat it, but I just couldn’t.  The only weak spot in the meal was the red wine, which was only one step above terrible and contributed mightily to my gastric distress.  While I had recently seen a notable improvement in the wine around La Cruz, the fine wines from northern Baja had yet to arrive at the Viva Maya.

We went to the show after dinner and that evening they were staging a contest for Miss Maya.  The four contestants were all rather mature for such a designation, but they were good sports.  The first game was a sexy dancing contest.  The woman from Argentina was by far the most restrained in her dancing but, also having the best body by a long shot, was declared the winner by the audience serving as judges.  The second contest required a male partner.  I sneakily signaled to the woman from California to pick Carlos.  He was game.  The contest involved bursting balloons between partners in compromising positions.  Carlos and his partner did very well and only lost by one point. 

There was a contest to name the movie associated with songs as they were played.  Finally, each contestant was instructed to collect as much clothing from the audience as possible.  Underwear was worth five points.    The contestants ran back and forth, collecting armfuls of clothing.  When time was called, Carlos and several others were down to their skivvies and a number of bras had been pulled off through arm holes.  Miss California won that contest, but Argentina was declared the overall winner.  Everyone had a good laugh.

I went back to the room after that, but Carlos headed to the disco where he met some Canadian lab techs and stayed out late talking to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment