Saturday, January 12, 2019

SEEING 2019 IN WITH A BANG



December 31, 2018

New Year’s Eve was a Monday and I spent the morning at the gym, as usual.  It was so chilly that I wore my fleece lined leggings.  They were a little warm for working out but felt good on the bus ride there.

At the beginning of 2018, I had resolved to reach my goal weight by the end of the year.  On the last day of 2018, I was happy to weigh in at one pound below my goal weight.   I was dumpy no more.  The gym had mirrors and I saw a rather muscular woman when I watched myself row.

I spent the afternoon practicing the guitar and trying to stay warm.  I was finally forcing myself to study flamenco.  It was slow going. I made good progress with the melodic bits but continued to struggle with the rapid strumming.  I forged on, attempting to beat the patterns into muscle memory by sheer diligence.

Geo Playing with Media Luna on New Year's
Karen and I had tickets to see Media Luna at the Octopus’ Garden for New Year’s Eve.  The band had convinced Geo to join them during the second set and the music was incredible.  We had a nice dinner and enjoyed the show.  We were in no hurry to leave afterward and hung around to finish our drinks and chat with the musicians.  We felt extremely blessed to be able to interact directly with such great talent.

View from Our Rooftop
Karen had to leave the next morning to return to the United States, so we left about 22:00.  I went home and lounged about until midnight when Cherie, our guest Saul, and I climbed up on the roof to watch the fireworks.  Every resort along the bay was shooting off fireworks and the display was more incredible than the Fourth of July in the USA.  It was unusually chilly, so I was glad to crawl into my warm bed as soon as the fireworks calmed down.

January 1, 2019

New Year’s Day dawned cold and dark.  I wanted to start the year off with a run but I just couldn’t make myself get out of bed.  It was so cold that I had closed all the windows.  I stayed in bed until nearly noon.  When I finally did get up, I made myself pancakes and hot tea.  I put on the warmest clothes I had, including wool socks, and didn’t leave the house all day.  I didn’t have enough warm clothing for the cold weather.

January 2, 2019

Determined not to let the previous day’s laziness set the tone for 2019, I got up and went to the gym after the net.  It had finally warmed up enough to leave the house in shorts.  I skipped the farmers’ market in Bucerias because I had to get to the marina by 13:00 in case anyone showed up for the music circle.  I had just enough time to return home, shower, eat lunch, and get organized.

Victor had left us a couple of bicycles and I decided to take one to the marina.  I put my guitar on my back and loaded my music into the basket.  The basket was precariously attached and wobbled dangerously as I rode over the rutted dirt roads.  I elected to take the lateral all the way to the smoothly paved main street, rather than bounce over the cobblestones with my heavy load.  The bicycle was faster than walking, but more dangerous.

No one showed up to play music so I practiced for an hour and then headed home.  Riding the bike back uphill was more difficult.  I kept getting stuck behind slow cars which made it hard to keep up enough momentum to avoid falling over.  I managed to power up the hill but had to walk the last step before I hit the lateral.  A pedestrian cut me off.

I wanteded the go to the Octopus’ Garden but didn’t dare try to negotiate the cobblestones on the bike.  I went home and returned on foot.  I picked up my complimentary ticket for the next night’s anniversary party and bought a ticket to Diego Mondragon’s second show.

That errand done, I continued to the grocery shop to buy bananas, yogurt and tortillas.  There were no tortillas in the shop, so I walked over to the tortilleria.  They were out of corn tortillas.  I didn’t know if it was because I had come at 16:00 or because they had run out of propane.  There was a shortage of propane in Jalisco, Nayarit, and Colima because a propane distribution center near Guadalajara was down for maintenance (or possibly because the distributors were holding out for 2019 prices.)  No one could heat their pools and people were running out of propane for cooking and heating water.  We were still okay but were keeping our fingers crossed that the gas would last until propane was available again.

I read and worked on musical projects until dinnertime and then sat down to write after I ate.  I planned to retire early so I could get up to run on Thursday.

January 3, 2019

A Rather Dull Sunrise
I went running on Thursday morning.  It was unusually dark and the sunrise seemed to be in black and white that morning.  There was very little color in it.  That was disappointing, since it was usually so dramatic.

The day passed with the usual activities.  I was excited about going to the Octopus’ Garden, that evening, to celebrate the third anniversary party of Alfredo’s having taken over the restaurant, bar, and music venue.  As a loyal customer, I had been granted a ticket and scored a table front and center.

Lobo with Esau and Sonny from Tatewari
There was a great lineup of musicians playing that night.  Lobo began the show playing flamenco guitar.  He was eventually joined by Esau from Tatewari and the other members of the band, except for Mimi, gradually joined them on the stage.  When they were all present, Lobo exited and Tatewari played a few numbers.
The Shuffle Band
 Tatewari was succeeded by the Shuffle Band.  The Shuffle Band was never one of my favorites, but they had improved with a change of personnel.  My biggest complaint about them was that they played the same songs over and over and they were the same songs everyone else played.  The night of the party, they managed to get through the entire set without playing one Creedence Clearwater or Rolling Stones song.  The staff really seemed to enjoy them.  They dressed up in funny costumes and danced around the bar, banging pots and pans together.  It was wilder than New Year’s.

Deep River
Deep River played after the Shuffle Band.  While they played covers, they did play an eclectic set of unique songs, some of which dated from recent decades.  I enjoyed the music and so did the patrons, who kept sending them tequila.  I noted that most of them saved it until after the set.

Amy Armstrong and Piel Canela

The last act was Piel Canela.  Mimi's absence from Tatewari was explained when he appeared as the lead guitarist for Piel Canela.  His flamenco persona was left behind and he was rocking an electric guitar.  The singer for the band, Amy Armstrong, had an amazing voice well suited to songs by Aretha Franklin or Adele.  Mimi did himself proud playing rock solos.  Their set was unfortunately short, as they were playing a concert at the Octopus’ Garden only a few days later.

Alfredo Addressing the Audience
The evening was a lot of fun, but also a little sad, as Alfredo made public the fact that Octopus’ Garden would no longer be serving as a restaurant and music venue after that season.  Alfredo and MaryChuy would be moving the business to another location in La Cruz to be announced later.  There was much speculation that he might be returning to Philo’s old location, which had sat empty for a couple of seasons without anyone coming forward to buy the property.













January 4, 2019

Friday was a gym day.  I had to rush home because I needed to be at the marina office by noon to assist with organizing all the donations for the children of the Manos de Amor orphanage into gift bags for each child.  The children had written letters to Santa expressing their desires.  Those wishes were then translated into English, copied onto paper hands, and hung on the Christmas tree in the VIP lounge where cruisers and others could take one and fulfill that wish.  Donations were then returned to the office where we picked them up and organized them all.
Assembling Gift Bags

Our first task was insuring that all the wishes had been fulfilled.  While we had many extra donations, there were some “hands” that had been taken, but never fulfilled.  There was some last-minute scrambling to purchase missing gifts with late arriving monetary donations.  I tied ribbons on the forty-two recycled and reusable gift bags that Katrina had obtained. People had contributed additional clothing and school supplies and we distributed those as equitably as possible.  People had been very generous.

The loan of Victor’s bicycle made it possible for me to run home after the work was done and practice for a bit before returning to the marina at 17:00 for Mexican Train dominoes.  We had a large enough crowd that we needed to split into two tables.

When the games were over, I agreed to meet Tom and Cary from Dragon’s Toy at the Brittania, later, for Indian food.  They served passable curries and attempted to make naan, an endeavor that I had never seen succeed without a tandoori oven.  It was an enjoyable meal and a nice departure from the usual fare.  We took our time eating and chatted with the chefs who were acquainted with Tom and Cary.  By the time we got to Ana Banana’s for music, later, we only managed to catch the last set.

January 5, 2019
A Proper Dawn in La Cruz

I got up early on Saturday to run.  There was a colorful sunrise.  Back at home, I lounged around and wasted time until I needed to scurry over to the marina to watch the orphans from Manos de Amor open their gifts.  

Elinore with the Kids
The children had been invited to swim in the marina pool and the Poolside Deli provided a hot dog lunch for them with a Rosca de Reyes (a traditional circular bread sporting candied fruit that is baked for Three Kings Day) for dessert.  A Rosca de Reyes contained plastic babies.  Whomever got one in his or her piece was supposed to make tamales.  Elinore got one in her piece and the children insisted that she pose with all the other lucky recipients.

Santa Steve
Lots of Happy Faces
I got there just about the time lunch was served and chatted with some volunteers while the children ate.  Then it was time for the gifts.  One of the cruisers posed as Santa and the children all had their photos taken with him as their bags were presented.  While not every child got exactly what they had in mind, there were a lot of happy faces.  We had a tough time getting the correctly sized roller blades and ended up with many extra small and large ones.  The boy who had requested baseball equipment got a real glove, bat and ball and he was ecstatic.  It was fun watching the children dig through their treasures.

After the gifts were distributed, the children returned to the pool area for a pinata.  Traditionally, the youngest kids go first.  While the pinata was rapidly hanging by a thread, that thread never failed.  It took quite a bit of battering and one broken broom handle before one of the girls finally managed to breach the papier mache and release a torrent of candy.  I stayed long enough to watch the children scramble for candy and then departed to get out of the sun.  It was great having a bicycle to speed up my return, although riding up Langosta was a challenge.

Pedro Carillo on the Requinto
Saturday night was another concert featuring Diego Mondragon.  The first attempt having been marred by difficulties with the sound, I went to see him a second time.  At first, it looked like there would be a conflict with loud banda music next door, but a compromise was reached and the show delayed half an hour until they finished.  The show was much improved over the first night, although the poor singer still struggled to perform numbers that exceeded her range.  Diego played a very true and passionate violin,  The crowd was enchanted and refused to let the musicians leave, contributing extra money to pay the backup band so that Diego could perform a third set.  I was almost equally taken with the trio from Punta de Mita, featuring the hilarious and ”internationally unknown” Pedro Carillo on the requinto, and resolved to seek them out at their regular venue sometime.  It was quite late by the time I got home.

The Sunday Market






January 6, 2019

Sunday was my day off from exercising and I used it to sleep in late.  With Victor and Saul in residence, there was a lot of activity in the house, so I hid in my room, reading and surfing the internet until hunger finally drove me out just before noon.

I needed a few things from the market so took the bike and zipped down there after breakfast.  Poor planning resulted in my choosing a cobblestoned route and I vowed never to do that again on the bike.  My teeth were nearly jarred out of my head and I could have walked faster than I rode.  I quickly picked up some strawberries, porchetta, and a baguette and returned via a nice, smooth dirt road.  I also picked up a ticket to the upcoming Luna Rumba concert at Los Arroyos Verdes outside of Bucerias.  Luna Rumba’s following had grown to the point where they had outgrown the La Cruz venues.  Their manager, Fernanda, assured me that there would be shuttles from the highway on the night of the concert so that those of us without cars could get to the location.  The concert would end well before the buses stopped running to return people to La Cruz.


The original Luna Rumba had been my all-time favorite band.  After two years without them, I was excited (although still somewhat skeptical) to see what the new version would offer.  They had come a long way from playing for free on Wednesday nights at Philo’s to selling 350 peso tickets to events at Los Arroyos Verdes.  Posters for the concert series were plastered all over La Cruz and Bucerias.

No comments:

Post a Comment