Monday, June 3, 2019

TURTLE BAY TO MARINA DEL REY 2019

May 22, 2019

We had decided that our best bet would be to leave the morning of the twenty-third to begin our passage northward.  The first twenty-four hours would be rough, but the winds should have abated and the sea state would eventually follow.  Bob needed to get home as soon as possible, having violated the first rule of bashing and set a deadline.  We went along with this mostly because we feared that if we didn’t jump on this marginal window, we might be stuck in Turtle Bay forever.

Another Cloudy Morning in Turtle Bay
We spent the morning checking in with land-based friends for weather updates, none of which varied in the least.  Wind and seas would not be truly favorable until Saturday but, by then, we didn’t know what might be brewing.  We started readying Scout for sea, stowing all the items we had drug out to dry after the last dousing.

By the time we convinced Greg to bring the dinghy on deck, the wind came up as we were unloading the outboard motor.  It was too windy to raise the dinghy, so we tied it alongside and hoped the wind would drop that evening.

Taking on Fuel
Enrique’s guys came out to deliver fuel at 16:00.  The wind was wild and the swells large.  They tossed me the slimiest, most seaweed encrusted line I had ever seen and I had to haul the panga up against Scout and tie her off.  The slimy line slipped through my fingers and the knots in it prevented me from putting it around a cleat to pull.  I feared catching a finger between knot and cleat, but somehow got the boat tied beside us without losing a digit.  We took on an additional seventy liters of diesel.  We had burned a few gallons with the generator during our twelve days in Turtle Bay, but mostly just wanted extra fuel in case we had a hard time making headway once we poked our noses outside.

Every time we dealt with Enrique, we experienced a moral dilemma.  The price he charged for fuel was exorbitant.  His prices were so high that many cruisers were bypassing Turtle Bay, altogether.  His employees asked for tips for delivering fuel, which seemed like adding insult to injury.  Greg told them the tip was included in the price.  We all felt bad, knowing that the employees probably didn’t see any of it, but we had no other means of protest.  I did feel bad asking them to take our trash ashore after we had just refused to tip them.  If any of us had had a small bill, we would have given it to them.

It was our last day at anchor and I baked the last of the cookie dough.  Everything we had baked in the oven had burned and I was determined to discover the cause.  It turned out that the thermostat was not functioning.  Using an oven thermometer, I sat beside the oven and turned it off whenever the heat got excessive.  I finally managed to produce baked goods that weren’t black on the bottom.

Dinner was shredded beef tacos with cucumber and tomato salad.  We had eaten the last of the good lettuce and the only lettuce available in Turtle Bay was some wilted iceberg that we rejected.  We watched the remainder of Master and Commander and went to bed, anticipating leaving Turtle Bay in the morning.

May 23, 2019

Bob was eager to leave and, despite Greg having said we would rise at the normal hour, got up early and started making as much noise as possible.  By 7:00, I couldn’t take it anymore and got up myself.  Everything was cold and wet with dew, but we hurried to bring the dinghy aboard while the wind was light.  We scurried around, making ready to sail, and then hauled up the anchor.  I was driving.  The tide was low and we were in only eight and a half feet of water.  I made a quick circle to head us out of the bay but when I tried to steer the other way to clear the reef, discovered that I couldn’t steer.  The autopilot was turned off and I couldn’t see the rudder indicator.  Everyone was yelling at me to turn to port, but I could not.  Assuming the rudder was pinned, I turned the opposite direction as hard as I could and increased the engine speed to give myself more steerage.  Eventually, it came around.  About that time, Greg realized that he had locked the steering on the other wheel.  No wonder I couldn’t steer!
Leaving Turtle Bay


At 8:00, we headed slowly out of the bay.  I was somewhat apprehensive.  I was not looking forward to being cold(er) and wet.  Turtle Bay, as dull as it was, had started to feel like home.  Leaving Turtle Bay also meant leaving Mexico for the season and heading back to my shoreside responsibilities.  I texted my household to tell them we were on our way and steeled myself for what was to come.

It wasn’t bad, at first.  The sun was out and, though the seas were lumpy and we pitched a lot, the wind was light and we weren’t taking water over the bow.  Greg took the first watch and then Bob took over at 11:00.  I came up to enjoy the sunshine and get some fresh air.  We were pitching enough that the cigarette smoke and diesel exhaust were making me slightly nauseated.


Isla Cedros
We crossed into the Pacific timezone about the time I took the watch at 13:30, having gained an hour.  We were all a little confused about whether watches were three or four hours and the time change didn’t help.  Bob did an extra half an hour and then I stayed on a full three hours until 16:30. By that time, we were abeam of Isla Cedros and approaching the San Benitos.  A dolphin followed us for a mile, leaping out of the water repeatedly.  The afternoon was warm and my watch was pleasant, if a bit lumpy, but the wind was gradually increasing.

The San Benitos Islands
I took a short nap after my watch and then got up to make dinner about 17:30. The wind had kicked up to about twenty knots and we had begun to fly off the steep swells and slam into the troughs.  I made a cucumber salad, but then had to lie down to recover because I was feeling queasy.  I would have lain there longer, but Greg and Bob were getting restive. I got up and heated the beans I had made ahead of time and then sauteed some chicken cutlets with Cajun spices.  They made a tasty dinner, although I was able to eat little.  I lay down, again, as soon as dinner was eaten.

When I got up again at 22:00, it was very rough.  The wind had risen to twenty-five knots and the seas were very steep.  We were slamming constantly.  We fell off and headed towards the mainland, which helped our speed a bit, but didn’t improve the ride much.  It was too dark to determine the sea state, but it was rough enough that we had slowed to about four knots.













May 24, 2019

Greg relieved me at 1:00 and I went below to lie down.  Sleep was impossible.  We were slamming constantly. I tried to sleep in the forward cabin because it was warmer, but I could feel the bow leaving the water and then slamming back down every few seconds.  Greg had left the hatch in the forward head open and I heard green water cascading in each time we took a wave.  I was afraid to get up and close it for fear of getting drenched in the process.  There was a small leak in the forward hatch which dripped on my face occasionally.  I couldn’t seem to get warm and the blankets slid off to the low side.  By 6:30, I was ready to get up even though I was tired.

I pumped gallons of water out of the forward head, made myself a cappuccino, and went on deck.  The sun was out and the wind had dropped to about twenty knots.  We weren’t slamming as badly and had stopped taking water over the bow.  Everything was slightly wet, but the situation looked better in the light of day.  My morning watch was actually fairly pleasant.  The wind continued to drop until it was blowing a steady seventeen knots.  The seas were still impressive but were farther apart.  We were climbing over them rather than flying off the top to slam into the next wave.

Greg relieved me at 10:00 and I was able to eat some peanut butter and toast and sit down to write for a few minutes.  We had just tacked and were heading northwest, away from shore.  I lay down on the settee in the main salon and slept like the dead until my next watch at 16:00.

When I came back on watch, we were twenty-five miles south of San Quintin headed straight for San Diego.  We passed Isla San Martin on my watch.  The sun was out but the wind was building again.  The weather wasn’t giving us any rest.
Isla San Martin

I had thawed what I thought was chicken in green mole for dinner but it turned out to be more beans.  Greg heated beans and leftover rice for dinner, but I decided to pass.  I was feeling nauseated again.  When my watch was over, I put on warm, clean clothes, took a strong anti-acid pill, and lay down to sleep until my next watch.



May 25, 2019

Dawn South of Ensenada
Greg and Bob took pity on me and let me sleep an extra hour. I awoke at 2:00.  We were still some hundred miles south of San Diego.  The wind had dropped a bit and it wasn’t bad out.  I was feeling much better.  My watch ended at 5:00 but I stayed up until the sun rose.  I hadn’t seen the dawn in days.  We were ten miles south of the Rocas Soledad when the sun came up.



My next watch began at 11:00 and we finally had sun and relatively flat seas.  We scooted along at over six knots for a few hours.  For once, I stayed in the cockpit after my watch ended.  In the middle of Greg’s 14:00 watch, when the wind had dropped to five knots and the seas were glassy, the engine RPMs began to fluctuate.  Greg tried giving it more throttle, but nothing would bring it up to full speed.  We suspected the fuel filters were clogged.

Scout had two easily accessible fuel filters with a valve to switch from one to the other easily.  We had already switched to the second one the previous day.  All of our pitching and slamming had stirred up the sediment in the bottom of the fuel tanks and clogged the filters.  We fell off to fill the sail and rolled out the jib.  We were just south of La Bufadora and it was quickly apparent that we weren’t going to make Bahia Todos Santos on that heading.  We tacked and headed out to sea at one and a half knots.  I sailed the boat while Greg and Bob changed the fuel filter.

Approaching Bahia Todos Santos
Unfortunately, changing the accessible filter didn’t solve the problem.  There was a third filter deep in the bowels of the engine and enough crud had passed through the first set of filters to clog that one, too.  I continued heading out to sea while Greg and Bob dug into the engine compartment, rooting through the trash for containers to catch fuel. It took them what seemed like forever to bleed the air out of the fuel system.  I continued playing with the sails, once managing three knots, but mostly poking along at one or two.  I did see a pod of dolphins off the port bow.  It was a great relief when the engine finally began to purr like its old self.  We returned to course and headed past Ensenada.

Rosarito
The wind built as the afternoon wore on, but it was sunny and the scene was interesting as we continued up the coast past Rosarito and Tijuana.  The area had seen a lot of development and was unrecognizable as the place I had visited in the nineties.  High-rise hotels and condos lined the shore where funky motels had stood.

A big, ugly wall marked the border but it seemed quite insignificant from offshore.  The mountains, sea, and human development dwarfed it.  Oddly, the Mexican side of the wall appeared much more civilized.  We observed no hordes of migrants beating on the gates.  The sun shone peacefully on Mexico as, in my experience, it usually does.


We cracked beers and watched the coast slip by.  I was reluctant to go below to cook, but finally did about 18:15.  I wanted to cook as much food as I could in case our groceries were confiscated by customs.  I made spicy chicken wings with Cajun fried potatoes and cabbage with bacon and a little vinegar.  Unfortunately, we made such good time that we arrived at San Diego before we had a chance to eat.  Dinner sat on the stove until we navigated the channel and tied up at the customs dock.
The Customs Dock in San Diego

Greg went ashore to check in at the kiosk and we waited aboard, technically quarantined.  Greg was gone quite a while and then, upon his return, asked that we immediately move to a guest slip.  Only after we had relocated did Bob and I learn that we were not actually checked in.  Greg had seen an open slip and grabbed it.  He still had to deal with customs.

Customs wanted arrivals to use an app called CBP ROAM to check in.  Greg had not downloaded it and spent an hour trying to do so on his computer while customs kept calling to ask why he hadn’t finished yet.  He succeeded in establishing an account but couldn’t get into the app.  Eventually, it became apparent that the app would only work on a smart phone or tablet.  He started over while Bob and I ate our now lukewarm dinners.  The customs agents arrived while Greg was still fighting with the app.  They were not pleased that we had left the customs dock and had failed to dispose of our produce in the special bins provided there.  They were, however, fairly easy going and didn’t give us a hard time.  Greg finally got to eat his dinner after 20:00.

Our next mission was hot showers but we couldn’t raise anyone to give us a code for the restrooms.  While there were open slips, the office said they were all full and had apparently gone home for  Memorial Day weekend.  Reluctantly, we filled Scout’s water tanks and took showers on the boat.  It was cold and damp and the idea of standing in the drafty head, wet and naked, soaping up and pumping out the sump between doses of hot water, was not appealing.  Still, we knew that no one would be waiting to give us a restroom key when we arrived in Marina del Rey, either, so we took advantage of the opportunity to get clean.  It was midnight by the time we crawled into our bunks.

Scout  in San Diego
May 26, 2019

I could hardly believe it when Greg, who was not an early riser, got up at 6:00.  Bob immediately got up to make coffee.  After a few minutes of denial when I pulled the blankets over my head, I got up to face the day.  It was cold and raining outside.  Bob was leaving us that morning to visit his mother before heading home to Minneapolis.  He wanted to get started, but needed a ride to the fuel dock on the other side of the channel.

Fuel Dock in San Diego
We arrived at the fuel dock before 7:00 and waited there until they opened.  Bob shouldered his pack and set off into the rain in search of an Uber to the train station.  We waited until the fuel operation opened and filled Scout’s tanks.  Then we towed a fellow whose dinghy outboard wasn’t working out to where he was anchored and set off down the channel in the rain.  It was dismal.

Point Loma


Rain Over Catalina Island
We gave the kelp beds off Point Loma a wide berth and then headed north towards Los Angeles.  Greg and I didn’t keep formal watches but traded off going below when one of us got cold or tired.  The rain stopped, but it remained overcast and the wind came and went.  At times it was rough and then it calmed again.  More rain was predicted and we just wanted the trip over with.  This was not a triumphant return. 
Visibility Wasn't Good

Oil Platforms

Shipping Traffic at Sunset
We continued slowly northward.  Normally, we would have headed for Avalon which would have given us a good angle to sail and made a pleasant stop.  Unfortunately, we had arrived on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and figured we would never get a mooring.  We headed straight for Marina del Rey.  It looked like it was raining in Catalina.  Late afternoon saw us off Newport Beach.  It started to rain, again, about 18:00 and visibility was poor until the squall cleared.  We passed the drilling rigs off Huntington Beach and found ourselves smack in the middle of the shipping lanes at sunset.  There was a lot of traffic, but most was already north of us and heading away.  A cruise ship passed us heading south.  We were so close but it felt like we were getting nowhere.

By 22:00, we were off Palos Verdes and eager to make the turn that would take us into Marina del Rey.  We still had a few more hours to go.  It was dark and wet and we were tired.  

May 27, 2019

Remarkably, the lights on the Marina del Rey breakwater could not be seen until we were merely a mile away.  We knew where it was, but couldn't see it in the dark.  Greg was concerned about making the turn into the south entrance with the large seas but it went smoothly enough once we were able to see where we were going. We entered the main channel at 1:00.

Scout  in the Esprit Marina
Once in the main channel, we circled while we set up the fenders and docklines and then made our way cautiously to our slip in C-Basin.  We finally tied the boat to the dock at 1:45.  We were finally home.
The Esprit Marina



No comments:

Post a Comment