Thursday, April 16, 2020

AND THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED


March 16, 2020

TP Clogged the Aisles
The Monday after I returned, I went to Bucerias to go to the gym and found it closed for Benito Juarez' birthday. I needed groceries, anyway, so continued on to the Chedraui to do my shopping. People were already hoarding in the United States and there were shortages of toilet paper and staples there. Everything seemed normal at Chedraui except that the aisles were crowded with pallets of toilet paper purchased in anticipation of hoarding that never happened. The gringos didn't stock up. Most of them just went home. Bucerias was already very quiet.

Hand Sanitizer
Toilet paper and bleach, soap, etc. were available in abundance. The hand sanitizer shelf was empty when I went by, but I later managed to acquire two bottles when they restocked. Of course, there were no sanitizing wipes because there never had been. I bought a package of alcohol free baby wipes and a bottle of alcohol to pour into it. The only thing I wanted that I could not find in the four stores I checked was a face mask. The store clerks all had them, but the businesses must have cleaned out the local supply. Aside from the absence of gringos and masks on the store employees, people were going about their business like normal.

That evening, I went to my salsa dance class. We maintained a social distance and gave up dancing with partners, but still managed to have a good time.


March 17, 2020

Fearing that services might become difficult to obtain, I returned to Bucerias on Tuesday to get my nails done and go to the bank. I went to La Comer to look for masks (no luck), get a coffee, pick up a small container for hand sanitizer, and buy mouse traps. Except for the lack of masks, I felt prepared.

Tuesday night, the order came down that public places like gyms and bars must close. Restaurants were given new rules for operation. Most of the customers were gone, anyway. Those that remained, largely stayed away.  Our Wednesday dance class was canceled.

March 18 - 20, 2020

Morning Malecon
Wednesday, I tried to resume my routine as much as possible by going for a morning walk in the marina. It was quieter than usual, but the regular walkers were all there. I felt a little bit sorry for the feral cats at the marina and wondered if some of their feeders might have abandoned them.
Cat Colony
Dina
Golden Sunrise




A Clear Day in La Cruz














 

I settled into a routine. I got up at 6:00, went for a long run or walk, and then returned to take a shower, listen to the net, and eat a leisurely breakfast. The net became an important source of information as to what directives had been issued in response to the corona virus. After breakfast, I practiced the guitar. I practiced three times a day. With people coming and going from the house, not all of whom were concerned about the quarantine, I mostly stayed in my room. Social media ate up a large part of my day as that became the only social outlet.






March 21 -22, 2020

Road to Matlali Hills
By Saturday, I was bored with running at the marina every day. I decided to explore parts of town I had never seen before. I ran up the highway to the road that led to Matlali Hills and Puerto Bahia. I ran up that nicely landscaped road as far as the gate to the resorts and then cut across to the fields behind my house. It was interesting to see what was back there. I had always been curious.

Running Up the Highway


Sunrise in the Country

Neighborhood Cow








We still had a mouse problem and I declared war. I cleaned out the cabinets so that I could see any new activity and set traps. Saturday night, I caught a mouse. It had somehow managed to get stuck in both the snap trap and the sticky trap. Cherie and I closed the kitchen window until we could repair the screen. Apparently, the mice were living outdoors and only coming in to eat. We never saw another.
Dawn in the Neighborhood

Sunday was my rest day and I slept in. Cherie's boyfriend, John, returned with a friend from his sailing trip and we all went out to
                                                   




dinner at the mostly empty Ballena Blanca. It would be my last restaurant meal for a long time.                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment