Monday, May 4, 2020

WAITING FOR THE PEAK


April 27, 2020

Dawn in the Darkened Hills
Day 41 of quarantine. I got up and went walking in the hills. The air smelled fresh and the cool breeze felt delicious on my skin. I wished I could include that feeling in my photographs somehow. It was getting harder and harder to capture images that were both beautiful and novel when my world was limited to an area with a five kilometer diameter, much of which was water.

Road to Matlali Hills
For the first time, I met two other people walking for exercise. Cabin fever was spreading faster than the corona virus. Continuing my explorations, I hung a left at the barking roof dogs and walked through a neighborhood of ranchettes until I arrived at the road to Matlali Hills, which I followed to the highway. I ran the last kilometer home because I had gone a bit out of my way and wanted to return before the net began.

After breakfast, I started priming the wall. The ladder was barely tall enough and didn't have a paint shelf. I had to balance the paint can on the top, stretch as far as I could possibly reach, and pray I didn't fall or spill the paint. Fortunately, I succeeded in painting the top half of the wall without incident. By 11:00, it was too hot to work in the sun. I retreated inside to work on my blog and practice the guitar.

Primed Wall
Cherie came back and worked on finding a way to get home to Canada. The cheapest flight available in May cost four times what she normally paid. She booked a flight for June first. Other Canadian friends managed to fly to Dallas, but missed their onward connection. They were allowed to leave the airport proper to spend the night in an airport hotel, something Canadians I knew had been worried would not be allowed.

I stayed indoors until about 4:00 and then went out to finish priming the wall. I had been a little worried that I didn't have enough primer, but there was plenty.

Dinner was leftover enchiladas and then I watched a little Netflix, practiced the guitar, and returned to working on my blog. The day's corona virus statistics were again promising. Another day had passed with only 850 or so new cases in Mexico. Deaths were also down. Back in California, the lockdown had been extended through May. I would not be leaving La Cruz before sometime in June.

April 28, 2020

Pre-Dawn Neighborhood
Day 42. Tuesday marked a full six weeks of sheltering in place. I awoke from a dream of releasing baby turtles. It seemed like an auspicious beginning for the day. I got up and took my usual walk around the marina. Prior to the quarantine, I had always avoided taking pictures in the dark. Recently. However, the darkness had become just another tool and I was enjoying working with it. Someone would turn on a light and, suddenly, a new image would appear. Looking at the same scenery again and again forced me to look harder and see new details.

Cheerful Entrance
I spent the rest of the morning painting the first coat of color on the patio wall. It now matched the wall along the street and looked nice. There were so many pipes protruding from the ground near the wall that I couldn't get a ladder close to much of it. I had to paint it with a brush because previous experience had shown that using a roller just peeled off the previous coat and made a mess. Without a roller, I couldn't use an extension, so I attached the brush to the end of a stirring stick with rubber bands and used that as an extension. It was crude, but functional.  By 12:30, I was ready for lunch, guitar practice, and writing.
Spotlit Agave

I managed to dash up the street in time to catch the tamale man who always seems to skip our block. I got two pork ones and two chicken ones for a total of forty pesos (less than $2.) That was good for two dinners and the first meal I had not cooked myself in over a month.

I started transferring a drawing I had made several years before to canvas. It got too dark to see before I got very far, but I did get the grid drawn.

The evening's corona virus statistics were not encouraging. We were back up over 1,200 new cases for the day with 135 additional deaths. If cases were peaking, it was not going to be a smooth curve.

April 29, 2020

Day 43. I just couldn't make myself leave the house to run but I still got up early. I got my morning routine over before the net so that I could start painting immediately thereafter. I had the second coat of paint on the patio wall by 11:00. This was a good thing because it was already hot. I washed my brush, put the tools away, and retreated into the house.
Freshly Painted Wall

I ate lunch, practiced the guitar, and watched some Netflix. Then I baked a batch of cornbread. My phone, while working fine during actual calls, had no sound while playing music or videos and I couldn't hear callers on Messenger. I must have spent an hour trying to figure it out. I asked Matt to call me so that I could verify that voice calls were still working and we ended up talking for and hour and a half.

I finally ended the call because I wanted to work on my painting. I got about half of the design penciled in before I lost the light. Then I made a watermelon, tomato, and feta cheese salad and ate it with the last of the leftover enchiladas.

After dinner, I practiced some more and then sat down to write. New cases for the day were back down to 1,047, but the day saw the most deaths, so far, with 163. Deaths always lagged diagnoses, so the number of deaths was not inconsistent with new cases having peaked, but it was still too soon to tell.

April 30, 2020

The Entrance to Alamar Before Dawn
Day 44. I hadn't had enough sleep but I still got up to run, knowing that I could always nap later. I got off to a slow start, walking at first, but started running when I took the turnoff for Punta Mita. It was earlier and darker than it usually was when I ran that way. The pavement seemed to be exhaling heat even before the sun rose.
Sun Rising in the East

Real del Mar
I went through my usual morning routine. Then I sat down to write.

After writing, it was time to practice the guitar before taking a nap. I slept for a good two hours. Then I shook myself awake, got up, and made lunch. When lunch was over, I pulled out the painting I was working on and completed sketching in the scene. Then I started the actual painting. I worked on it until after 20:00 when I suddenly realized it was time for Cheko's live stream. I put my art supplies away and heated up the last of the tamales for dinner while I listened to Cheko. Then it was time for more guitar practice before sitting down to write, again, before bed.
The Beginning of My Painting

It had been a bad day for corona virus cases in Mexico. There were 1,425 new cases, a new record high. It no longer seemed like cases had peaked. The original estimate of the second week of May now looked more likely to be the peak.

Deaths were fortunately down from the previous day, but most deaths didn't occur until the second week after symptoms began. Those numbers would likely climb, also. The death rate in Mexico was high, likely due to the elevated incidence of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension and low rate of testing. Even the state of Nayarit was up to 63 confirmed cases and twelve deaths. Recovery seemed to be taking a long time. Only two patients were listed as recovered in the state.

May 1, 2020

Malecon at First Light
Day 45. I started my day with the usual 4.4 mile walk around the marina. I took a different route on my way home and passed a lot with a herd of goats in it. They all ran bleating up to the fence and climbed over each other to get to me. They must have been very hungry.

Hermana

Sunrise Over the Fairway



















It was a usual day. I did laundry, swept the patio, and practiced the guitar. I was running low on groceries,but seemed to have a lot of breakfast food. I had breakfast, again, for lunch. 

Friendly Goats
I spent most of the afternoon working on my painting. I didn't like some of the colors I had chosen and needed to paint over them. I had hoped to finish the painting, but it would take at least another day.

Dinner was a tuna kebab with a small potato and salad. The tuna was the last protein I had in the freezer. I could get by for a few more days on pasta and canned goods, but it was time for a grocery run. I was running low on lettuce, which was hard to get in town.

After dinner, I mended a net bag while listening to a podcast and then chatted with Matt while trying to write, a somewhat confusing multitasking process. New corona virus cases were up to 1,515 in the country of Mexico and an accumulated total of 96 for the state of Nayarit. The local food pantry had delivered care packages to 350 needy families. Volunteers had purchased two tons of beans.

May 2, 2020

Neighborhood Chapel
It was Saturday. Day 46. Not that Saturday was different from any other day in quarantine. Not that the days didn't run together in La Cruz under normal circumstances. Usually, the only thing that marked a Saturday was that there might be a good band playing at the Treehouse Bar that night. Under quarantine, I looked forward to Tatewari's live stream that evening. The April 27th show that I had planned for Matt and I to attend together had been canceled. Now, we would watch them on the internet from two time zones apart.

Lichen on a Post
Dating someone new was always delicate. Doing it while locked down in separate countries was a strange, virtual experience. We lived alone and had more interaction with each other than with anyone else. It felt both oddly intimate and frustratingly distant. I couldn't know if the relationship would survive actual contact but I was glad for his virtual company during this time when life had been put on pause.

I didn't want to get up. It felt like a nerve was pinched in my hip. It was already 72 degrees when I got up and I was slow getting started. I decided to take a walk in the hills, but made it a bit shorter than usual so that I could still return before the net. It was a mundane walk. The fierce guard dog that usually threatened to take my head off seemed to be getting used to me. He still barked, but he was no longer snarling and wagged his tail when I took his picture. A little further down the road, a friendly border collie barreled into me in an attempt to keep his two companions away from me. He always protected me from the other dogs on that property. A litter of black and white puppies frolicked in the driveway across the road. One of German shepherds that usually loudly protested my passing from the roof ignored me completely as I passed him sitting outside the gate. The scenery might have been dull but the dogs were always interesting.

Fierce Guard Dog
Back at Casa Bliss, I listened to the net, made French toast out of stale oatmeal bread, and sat down to write after breakfast. I practiced the guitar and tried, without success, to convince myself to work on my painting. I read and chatted with friends instead. By 15:00, I couldn't keep my eyes open and I took a two-hour nap.

When I woke up, Cherie, who was not a fan of masks, was wearing one in the house. Apparently, she had come down with a sore throat and tightness in her chest. She was doing her best to isolate herself upstairs, but we still had to share a kitchen. This set off a storm of feelings. It was, of course, the very thing I had worried about whenever she was here because she had been out and about so much more than I had, including a trip into Jalisco to go to Costco. On the other hand, I truly doubted that she had contracted the corona virus. There were so few active cases in our area that it was highly unlikely that she had encountered one. I knew she felt bad about it. Still, I now felt obligated to stay at home until we had a better handle on the progression of her symptoms. I had planned to go to the supermarket on Monday, but now felt a responsibility to stay in until we determined that Cherie only had a cold.

I had purchased a thermometer for just such a scenario and Cherie took her temperature. It was slightly below normal, which was reassuring. She wasn't coughing, also a good sign. I had ordered N95 masks from Amazon the day before after my original order from Claroshop had failed to ship for two weeks. They were due to arrive on Tuesday. I resolved to wait at least until I received the masks before venturing out.

It occurred to me that this was a good reason to order groceries for delivery and I spent a good hour while Cherie was in the kitchen putting together my order from La Comer. They had all kinds of things that I had been unable to find locally, including Lysol wipes which even they hadn't carried the month before. I was quite excited about my order until I discovered that they would not deliver to our location. I was a little crushed by that. My meager dinner of a tuna brochette and a quesadilla did little to cheer me up.

Tatewari was streaming live from the roof of the Groove House Studio at 20:00 and that had a more positive effect on my mood. Matt and I watched it together, from afar. He was getting to see most of the bands I had planned to take him to see over the internet. After the show, I finished a blog post and then watched a little Netflix before bed. I never did get to my painting, but I let that be OK.

May 3, 2020

Sunday, day 47. I never managed to sleep in as long as I wanted to on Sunday morning, but I lounged in bed, looking at Facebook and dozing, until 9:30. Sunday was a day I combed out and rebraided my two-foot long pigtail. That always took some time. When Cherie was clear of the kitchen, I came out and made pancakes, washing my hands after I touched anything. I knew she had wiped things down, but couldn't be sure she had gotten everything like the lighter for the stove. I normally put the dry dishes away first thing in the morning but, this day, I left them in the rack. I knew she had touched those.

Cheesy N95 Mask
I practiced the guitar after breakfast and then sat down to write. Someone rang the doorbell. It was my Amazon delivery with the masks, two days early. That was a very pleasant surprise after the poor performance of my first order from Claroshop. The masks were N95 material, but small and completely unshaped. They came with a tiny length of elastic that wasn't even tied in a knot. I was rather disappointed, but also happy to see that, whatever their shortcomings, they did fasten around the head and not over the ears. They would stay on and not give me a headache.

I baked another loaf of soda bread in the afternoon and did some more work on my painting. It would have been finished except that I didn't like one of the colors I had used in the sky. I wanted to go back over it with something less purple.

I ate the last tuna brochette with soda bread and canned tortilla soup for dinner. The Campbell's tortilla soup was a disappointment. There wasn't a shred of chicken in it. It was more like chile broth than anything else. I had the last little bit of ice cream for dessert. I was going to have to do without it going forward. I had only gained a couple of pounds,but my weight was headed in the wrong direction.

As of Sunday night, the official total of corona virus cases in Mexico to date was 23,471. Nayarit had seen 115 cases. There were only four active cases in our county. Small as these numbers seemed in comparison to the tally in the United States, it was clear that new cases had not peaked. The new estimate was for additional cases to peak on May 6th. I wasn't holding my breath.




No comments:

Post a Comment