Tuesday, June 30, 2020

TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME

June 15, 2020

We were entering our third week in San Jose del Cabo. It was dull, but safe enough. One day ran into the next. I got up to run on Monday morning. I was always looking for new routes to take. I ran past the dolphins, along the beach, and up the levee to the main road. Then I crossed over and dropped into the arroyo. I followed a road that paralleled the kilometer long bridge. Parts of it were so deep in sand that I had to slow to a walk. Eventually, I reached the creek and crossed on the trunk of a dead palm tree. There was evidence that some homeless people were living under the bridge by the creek, but I only saw one man and he paid me no mind. After crossing the creek, I had to scale a concrete wall to get back to the level of the road. It was a bit sandy, but I managed to scramble up it and only left a few skin cells behind from my knee. Once on the road, I ran back across the bridge and through the marina where I was chased by a pack of dogs. Between my yelling, “No!” at them and a couple of locals swearing at them in Spanish, they eventually turned tail and left me alone.

Stream Crossing
Climb out of the Arroyo


Pack of Dogs at the Marina

Dogs at the Shipyard Office
Our big outing for the day was to go to the shipyard office to use the internet. When we arrived, we found the sofa occupied by a large, napping dog. Leslie and I downloaded Netflix shows to keep us amused and I completed a blog post.

Leslie made a loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread and we had that with chili for dinner.

June 16 -17, 2020

The Beach Was Narrow at First
The beaches were finally open, so I took the opportunity to walk on the beach east of the marina on Tuesday morning. The tide was just past high and I barely had room to pass between the booming surf and the cliffs for the first stretch. There were a handful of locals fishing in the surf, but I only encountered four other people in four miles of walking.

Strange Patterns of Erosion

Undermined Home












It was a beautiful walk. Some of the cliffs were eroded in fascinating ways. One of the lovely homes along the beach had been constructed too close to the edge and was in danger of collapsing. Further down the beach, I passed condos and hotels. The color of the sand ranged from white through red to black. Crabs scuttled down the beach to the water. The waves were impressive and very loud. I climbed the cliffs at a different place than I had descended and ended up on a private road where one of the gringo residents rather rudely directed me back to the main road when I admitted I was lost.

The Waves Crashed

Varied Sand Colors











The transmission and new battery switches arrived on Tuesday afternoon, but it was too late to do anything with them. We arranged for the mechanics to come the next morning and the electrician in the afternoon. Then we spent another afternoon hanging around the boat.

I spent a good hour trying to transform bottled spaghetti sauce into something vaguely Italian using only what spices were present on the boat. Eventually, between some Italian sausage and enough cayenne, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic, onions, and veggies, I managed to mask the sweet taste of the bottled sauce and produce a pretty decent dinner. Leslie had baked another couple of loaves of sourdough and we had salad to top it all off. I was so full I could barely stay awake long enough to watch Once Upon a Time in the West, a 1969 western with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, and Jason Robards. It was a good one with lots of plot twists.

Marina was busy hunting roaches and brought us three big ones over the course of the evening. While it was my job to kill flies and Leslie's job to eradicate common roaches, it was Jack's job to kill the giant bugs his cat dragged in. He got two of them, but one escaped into the boat, a somewhat disturbing event.

Sunrise at the Cross
Fishing at Dawn











Wednesday, I ran around the hill, up to the cross, and back along the usual levee, beach, marina route. I wanted to get in a little uphill running. I waited a few minutes at the top until the sun rose.

The mechanics came in the morning, but quickly determined that they needed an installation tool. Jack had offered to purchase said tool with the transmission, but had been told that they had one. Now, it was nowhere to be found. It would take another day to locate one. The electrician got stuck on another job and couldn't come, either. We spent another day waiting.

Sunset Over the Marina
I did some laundry. Leslie and I practiced our respective instruments. Jack worried about the boat. We ate leftover pasta and salad for dinner and started watching the documentary about Jeffrey Epstein,





June 18, 2020

Marina Helping the Electrician
We had arranged for the electrician to come at 7:00, figuring that the mechanics would be late. Of course, the mechanics arrived early, also. Fortunately, Russell the electrician was able to assemble most of the jumper cables and such that he needed to install the battery switch out in the cockpit. Marina plopped herself in the middle of the project. He thought she was trying to help until we informed him of her propensity to chew on anything that looked like wire. I feared for his multimeter leads.

The New Transmission
Leslie and I set off to walk to Walmart about 9:00. It was a hot walk uphill. Nothing seemed to have changed since our last visit. No tourists were in evidence. We stocked up on provisions for what we hoped was the last time. I finally found a whisk broom and dustpan in the dollar store section of the Walmart. I also bought a pair of slippers to wear on watch. My running shoes were too bulky and didn't slip on and off easily. The only other shoes I had were flip flops which didn't work well with socks. I had been keeping watch in stocking feet. While there were all kinds of cute women's slip on shoes that I would have liked to buy, none of them came in my size. I had to settle for a cheap pair of men's slippers.

We called our favorite Uber driver, Gabriel, to ferry us back to the boat. The electrician had just finished when we returned. The mechanics had somehow managed to get the installation tool stuck on the shaft and were unable to remove it. No amount of hammering on it had any effect. They decided to try freezing it, but broke for lunch, first.

We scrounged some lunch and then retreated to our respective corners to nap, read, or write.

Nothing would budge the installation tool, so they eventually had to cut it out. By the time that was done, it was late in the day and they resolved to try again the following morning. We started getting antsy. We didn't want to be stuck over another weekend.

Sexy Power Boat
Being tied up to the Marine Group's dock, we got to see all the dry stored boats being put in the water and taken back out. Some of them were larger than you would expect. One very sexy power boat was tied up next to us for a few days. It wasn't a fishing boat and it didn't have much living space. It just looked fast. We decided the only good use for such a boat was running drugs unless you were using it as a tender to a mega-yacht.

We finished watching the documentary about Jeffrey Epstein, after dinner, and went to bed early .

June 19, 2020

Reinforced Thumbnail
It was Friday of the third week we had spent in San Jose del Cabo and the transmission still wasn't in. I was up early, drinking tea in the cockpit, when the first mechanic arrived at 7:30. I couldn't wake Jack, so asked him to return at 8:00. Jack was up by the time he came back.

I just couldn't make myself run that morning. I had run out of interesting places to explore and was ready to be gone.

The mechanics worked on installing the transmission all day. Leslie and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon in the office, downloading Netflix, and using the internet. I rushed out another blog post. When we returned to the boat, transmission was in but we were still short a hydraulic hose. The mechanics swore they would get it made overnight and be back by 9:00 the next morning.

As a guitar player, breaking my right thumbnail is a nightmare. Usually, I keep the nails on my right hand coated with acrylic to avoid the problem. Since the coronavirus hit, I had not been able to get my nails done and I had finally torn my thumbnail right at the quick where it would take months to grow back if I allowed it to tear off. I laminated a piece of Post-It Note to my nail with Superglue and then painted it with clear nail polish. It kept the nail intact but made me look like I had painted my thumbnail neon green. It was a toss-up as to whether I would get my hair cut or my nails done, first, when I got home. Both were driving me mad.

We were still a little concerned that we might be delayed over the weekend, but still decided to go out for dinner. We were craving pizza, but there was no pizza restaurant in La Playita and no one wanted to deliver to us. Leslie and I took an exploratory walk and discovered that the Marinero Borracho was open for dine-in service. It was empty when we scoped it out at 17:30, but much busier when we returned with Jack at 20:00.
Jack and Leslie at Marinero Borracho

It wasn't jam packed, but every gringo in the marina seemed to be in the restaurant. They had set up table outside along the street and inside downstairs, so we weren't cheek by jowl. The servers wore masks and face shield and we had to walk through disinfectant to get it. They were not allowed to have physical menus. I had to download a QR code reader so that we could view the menu. Leslie and I had tacos chinos with fish or shrimp, cabbage, pineapple, mint, and cucumber. Jack had soup and shrimp enchiladas. Everything was delicious. Perhaps the best part was being able to order margaritas. It was a good celebration.

June 20-21, 2020

Hoping that Saturday would truly be my last run in the San Jose del Cabo area, I decided to take a short run out to the hotel zone to see if anything had opened. Saturday morning traffic was heavier than usual and a couple of cattle were sharing the road.

Sunrise Over the Arroyo
Empty Hotel






Cows in Morning Traffic




It was further to the hotels than I remembered. Vidanta was still barricaded, but the other hotels had removed their walls. Still, they looked deserted and I saw no one but gardeners and security. I was curious and kept running down the strand. Eventually, I decided to run over the hill past La Comer, Chedraui, Soriana and Walmart. By the time I returned to the boat, I had run over 10k. So much for a short run.

The mechanics didn't show up by 9:00, but they did arrive with the hose by 10:30. By early afternoon, the transmission was working. We went back and forth at the dock and ripped one of the undersized cleats out of the dock in the process.

My friend, Carlos, and his girlfriend, Ruby, came to meet Jack and see the boat in the afternoon. We had invited them to come with us to Ensenada as crew. They spent most of the afternoon with us and decided to come along.

Carlos

Leslie and I made ready to leave and filled the water tanks. The valves had not been properly set and we accidentally filled the drinking water tank with non-potable water. We then had to empty it back out and refill the tank with bottled water. Carlos helped Jack shuttle bottles of water to and from the Oxxo with his car. Late in the afternoon, we took a short harbor cruise to test the transmission. It worked fine.

I made pork chops, zucchini, and risotto for dinner and we watched The Kingdom. We planned to leave the dock in the morning.

Motoring Out of San Jose del Cabo








Locals Enjoying the Beach in San Jose del Cabo


We spent a leisurely Sunday morning, doing last loads of laundry and taking showers. Then I topped up the water tanks and we cast off about noon. The wind was blowing us off the dock and Leslie, who had been untying the lines, was unable to get aboard. We tried, futilely, to approach close enough to the boat parked behind us for her to jump aboard, but ended up having to switch to the opposite side of the dock where the wind worked in our favor. Magic Carpet has a high freeboard and it wasn't a pretty entrance, but we got Leslie aboard safely and motored out of the marina.

The weather was perfect and we had a nice ride along the coast to Cabo San Lucas where we anchored in the same spot we had occupied three weeks before. It was Father's Day and the beaches were crowded, although the hotels were mostly empty and the crowd seemed to be local.

The Arch with Sand

Cabo's iconic arch is usually clean of sand but once or twice per decade the sand builds up the arch. This was one of those times. Leslie, Jack, and I piled in the dinghy and zoomed out to see the arch. The surf was big and it could not have been more beautiful or impressive. Rays were leaping out of the water all around us. A few tour boats were out but we mostly had the area to ourselves. It seemed like a good omen for our journey.


Waves on the Outside of the Arch

Cruise Ship Anchored in Cabo

Carlos was due to meet us at 6:00 for a last-minute grocery run. Leslie and I took the dinghy in and parked it at the dinghy dock near the launch ramp where the security guard would watch it for 60 pesos. We failed to meet up with Carlos and grew impatient. After half an hour of miscommunications, Leslie and I took an Uber to the Soriana to do our shopping. Carlos met us there and brought us back to the boat.

Magic Carpet in Cabo
It was so late by the time we got back that we each just scrounged something for dinner. I had a can of tuna and some rice cakes with cream cheese. Soon it was time to hit the hay. We were due to meet Carlos and Ruby at the fuel dock the following morning at 8:00.

Cabo by Night

No comments:

Post a Comment