Monday, February 26, 2018

LA CRUZ – MY HAPPY PLACE

February 18, 2018

Bobby Lemon with Some of His Art
My friend, Bobby, was having an art show at Ana Banana’s on Sunday morning, so I walked down and met some friends for breakfast there.  Bobby has a lot of friends and they had all shown up at 10:00.  The place was packed and the restaurant had not scheduled enough staff to handle the onslaught.  It took us 45 minutes to get drinks and the food and, when it came, it was mostly wrong.  They were out of many items.  Our poor waitress was new, didn’t speak English, and had no idea how things were supposed to be.  It took us two hours to eat and get our bill.  Bobby did well and sold a lot of art.  The crowd was getting restless from the poor service, so he and I each played a few songs.

It was a nice morning and I enjoyed the company of my friends, but I had been supposed to meet Don for the Sunday market and was much later than anticipated.  Fortunately, Don was running late, also.  I met him near the band and he and I spent an hour or so listening to the Huanacaxtle Sound Machine, yet another wonderful band from La Cruz.

My afternoon was spent practicing the guitar and programming my computer to play the second part of the Bach duets I was learning.  I was too lazy to make dinner, so settled for chips and guacamole with a few pieces of chicharron (crispy, fried pork belly) from the local butcher.

February 19 - 20, 2018

Our Front Patio
Running at Dawn
















Monday was another running day and I managed about 2.5 miles and a shower before the net at 8:30.  I drank a cup of coffee while listening to the net and then lounged in a hammock in the shady front patio, playing solitaire and texting friends on my phone.  I did practice the guitar and read, but I was sleepy all day and napped on and off.  I couldn’t have been more relaxed.

Don and I met for dinner.  Many restaurants are closed on Mondays, so the choices were limited.  Our favorite street taco vendor was opening that night, but they were late getting started.  We opted to go to Enrique’s instead.  I had heard that Enrique’s made excellent (and affordable) fish tacos, although they were not on the menu.  This turned out to be true.  Fish tacos were 25 pesos apiece and shrimp ones 30.  Both of us ordered one of each.  The tacos were large and came with two tortillas each, so the two fish tacos rapidly became four.  Fifty-five pesos ($3) bought us a satisfying dinner.

Tuesday Night at the Britannia
After dinner, we repaired to the Octopus’ Garden for Acoustic Night.  People played everything from Roy Orbison to Neil Diamond.  Towards the end of the evening, a band got up and played some blues.  Various friends stopped by our table for a drink.  I discovered that Corona makes a non-alcoholic beer called Cero.  Since I limit my drinking to two alcoholic drinks a day, this came in handy.  It wasn’t any worse than a Bud Light and would have been fine with lime over ice.

Tuesday morning was quiet.  I made coffee and listened to the net while I ate breakfast.  Then I worked on my blog for a couple of hours and practiced the guitar.  I didn’t really mean to go out in the evening, but somehow ended up at the Britannia listening to an eclectic band that managed to get George Strait and the Talking Heads into the same set.

February 21, 2018

Cruisers Practicing Suturing
Wednesday was a busy day.  I got up late, so barely had time to get it together in time to get down to the marina to attend a class on suturing.  A local doctor was showing us how to stitch up wounds.  He had brought a haunch of pork and we took turns stitching up stab wounds.  We used cat gut (disolving, artificial) to stitch the muscle and fat layers and then nylon for the skin.  It had been forty years since the last time I had practiced, so it was good experience that I hoped I would never need in real life.

After the class, I wandered around the building to the Poolside Deli to meet with my music circle.  We had a big group that included four guitars, two mandolins, and a keyboard.  Simple songs without too many different chords worked best for people to follow and I found that my repertoire was rather low on such numbers.  It was always a challenge to come up with a good song when it came to be my turn.  Having to be physically able to carry all of my belongings at once, I had left my big binder of songs at home.  I missed it.  We played for over two hours and, this week, my fingers didn’t feel like hamburger when we finished.  I was adapting to the steel string guitar, at last.

Lobo at the Black Forest
After a few hours of downtime, I took myself to the Black Forest Restaurant to hear Lobo play flamenco.  It had become clear that I suffered from a flamenco addiction that was not shared by the majority of my friends.  Since I was unable to entice anyone to accompany me, I went by myself. I actually had a lovely evening.  They seated me right next to Lobo and, as people finished eating and left, I practically had a private concert.  I enjoyed my meal and apfelstrudel ala mode with two cups of decaf coffee.  After the concert, I had a chance to talk to Lobo about learning to play flamenco (a fantasy of mine), but he really wasn’t able to offer me much advice, although he was very encouraging.  I went home and discovered that there were some very good lessons on YouTube.  I would have lots to work with.  What did we ever do before YouTube?  People had also mentioned watching videos on suturing earlier in the day.


February 22-23, 2018

Sunset on the Breakwater
Thursday was productive.  I got up and swept the front yard.  The tree in front was dropping loads of blossoms and leaves, so leaving it for more than two days left the house looking uninhabited.  I spent most of the day writing, playing the guitar, and working up songs to play in the music circle.  In the evening, Don and I met at the free movie night on the breakwater where they were playing Split, a well- acted thriller about a character with multiple personalities.  It was another lovely evening that started out with a pretty sunset.

Roasting Chiles
Friday, I got up and ran.  In the afternoon, I made chiles rellenos, a time-consuming process.  The first step is to burn the chiles, which causes the skin to char and bubble, making it possible (although not easy) to remove it.  This renders the chiles softer and easier to deseed and, ultimately, eat.  I was so busy with cooking that I almost forgot my Friday night domino game at the marina.  I practically ran down there and was still a half an hour late.  Fortunately, they were teaching a new person the ropes, so hadn’t really started yet.  It was fun to see my domino friends.  I had been playing dominoes with them, whenever I was in La Cruz, for several years.


Later in the evening, Cherie and I went to Bucerias to see some music at La Postal.  There were two groups playing, both of whom were good.  The first group was a young couple playing guitar and melodica and singing.  The second act was a fellow named Alejandro, whom I had seen before.  He was versatile, but seemed to specialize in Paul McCartney numbers which he performed very well.  The venue was outdoors and it got strangely cold, forcing us to leave once Cherie had finished her dinner.  Having had a chile relleno about 4:00, I just snacked on appetizers.  They made killer virgin mojitos, which we both enjoyed.

February 24, 2018
Christy's Breakfast Joint

Saturday, I got up and walked to the far side of town to eat breakfast at Christy’s, a breakfast place on the corner of Coral and Huachinango that I had been trying to visit for years, without success.  Finally, I found her open and had a tasty and economical bagel breakfast sandwich with coffee and a banana smoothie, or licuado as they are called here.

Upon returning home, I swept the front and back yards again and practiced the guitar.  A feral cat had given birth to one tiny, black kitten in our bodega.  One night, I was sitting at the kitchen table when I saw something orange flit out through the bars of the security
Cat & Kitten Inside Our Couch
gate.  The mother cat had moved her kitten into the house and taken up residence inside our couch.  She hissed at us when we peeked inside, but showed no inclination to move.  We gave her water and tried to remember not to lock her inside.  It was a provisional arrangement, since none of us were in a position to adopt a cat.  She was allowed to remain as long as she kept things clean and did no damage.  Tile floors are forgiving.  With carpeting, it would have been a disaster.

Jenna Mammina & Rolf Sturm










Saturday evening, five of us packed into Cherie’s car and drove to San Pancho for the music festival.  I was especially eager to see Tatewari, a flamenco inspired group that I had enjoyed since the first time I came to La Cruz.  Unfortunately, they never arrived.  Their drummer Sonny, who also plays guitar and sings, did a few numbers before he was replaced by an unscheduled mariachi band.  Jenna Mammina and Rolf Sturm played next.  She has a nice voice and they have an amazing ability to make up songs on the spot from notes and words provided by the audience.

The San Pancho Music Festival has two stages and lesser bands play on the second stage while the main stage is being readied for the next act.  The previous year, we had been subjected to the same awful bands between every act, but this year they had a greater variety.  Unfortunately, Saturday night’s lineup subjected us to sets by the aforementioned awful bands.  Still, people were more forgiving when only forced to tolerate twenty minutes or so of musical torture.

Everybody Danced to the Orchestra San Francisco
After Jenna Mammina, Jeff Oster, Michael Manring, Chas Eller and Celso Alberti played some very nice jazz.  Jeff Oster blows a mean trumpet and Michael Manring somehow managed to elevate the electric bass to a solo instrument.  At times, it even seemed as if he were playing slide bass.  His performance was literally amazing.


The last act was a group of musicians from all over the world assembled under the name of Orchestra San Francisco (the official name of San Pancho.)  They played Cuban inspired beats that had the whole crowd up on their feet and dancing.  It was a nice way to end the festival for the night.  It was after midnight by the time we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment