Saturday, February 3, 2018

PUERTO ESCONDIDO TO PUERTO LOS GATOS – THE (FIRST) BIG BLOW


January 20, 2018

Puerto Escondido in the Morning
We awoke to a beautiful, warm morning and sat in the cockpit for a couple of hours, drinking coffee and enjoying the sun, before I made eggs and tortillas for breakfast.  Winds were light and the seas flat, so we decided it was the perfect time to inaugurate the stand-up paddleboard.  Don attached the fin and leash and then I took it for a little spin around the neighboring boats.  Flat as it was, I managed to complete my tour without falling in.  Don, who was a complete novice at SUPs, was not so fortunate, but he persevered and started to get the hang of it.

Don on the SUP

The radio net had advertised a farmers’ market in the parking lot so, after Don got warm and dry again, we loaded my laundry in the dinghy and headed for shore.  Don made me drive, since I have an aversion to outboard motors, but it went fine until we got to the dock and had a bit of trouble finding a place to tie up.  The marina workers had part of the dock deconstructed and other cruisers had tied their dinghies with short tethers.  Eventually, the workers took pity on us and offered us a clear spot further down the dock.

The new docks at Puerto Escondido are interesting in that they have no pilings.  Instead, they are tethered to massive blocks of concrete with giant bungee cords that allow them to move up and down.  We later talked to some people who had been there in 58 knot winds.  They said that cleats were pulling out of the docks and it was a mess.  They held fine in the high winds we would see the next day.

The farmers’ market turned out to be one guy with an SUV full of goat cheese and kale.  We bought some goat cheese.  I needed to do some laundry, so repaired to the laundry room to wait for a washer while Don sat out at one of the tables in front of the marina to use the WiFi.  I quickly nabbed a washer and started the laundry.  My computer needed charging and there was fortunately a free electrical outlet.  I managed to upload photos from my phone but, unfortunately, there was no WiFi signal in the laundry room, so I was unable to work on posting my blog.  Instead, I spent the time chatting with other cruisers, catching up on gossip about Marina Chiapas, and learning about South Africa where I would be heading in the late spring.

Laundry finally completed, I rendezvoused with Don.  The wind was starting to pick up a little bit.  I went to the new marina market and did my best to provision.  They had a reasonable selection of produce, but nothing in the was of fresh meat except bacon and some lunchmeat.  I did my best to fill our larder from the limited selection, resorting to canned goods clearly purchased from Costco.  Knowing we might be trapped in the boat for the next few days while the wind blew, I cleaned out their supply of Diet Coke and Don bought a bottle of rum. 

By this time, the sun had dipped below the mountains and the wind was rising.  It was chilly.  Still, we decided to conserve our limited supply of fresh food and have burgers ashore before heading back to the boat.  The cheeseburgers at Pepegina’s were excellent, but we didn’t linger any longer than necessary.  We had a long, cold dinghy ride ahead of us.  While it was windy, the seas weren’t too terrible and we managed to get back to the boat without getting my laundry wet.  It wasn’t blowing more than 15 knots at the time, but the wind was expected to come up in the night. Don fastened everything securely in anticipation.

We sat in the cockpit, sipping drinks and admiring the stars, until it got too cold for my tastes and I ducked below.  I tried to read, but ended up taking a pre-bed nap on the settee before finally retiring about midnight.

January 21, 2018

The norther hit at 2:00 AM, just as predicted.  I woke up, checked the wind speed, decided it wasn’t serious, and went back to sleep.  At 6:00, something was thumping, so I went on deck to try to quiet it.  I couldn’t find the problem and decided it was something to do with the mooring lines, so returned to my warm bed.

Windy Afternoon in Puerto Escondido
I was awakened by the radio net at 8:00 but, having nothing pressing to do, stayed in my bunk, reading, until Don got up at 9:00.  We passed the entire morning sipping coffee and eventually eating some oatmeal (I had forgotten to buy eggs.)  It was windy, but not too cold behind the dodger.  

Gradually, the windspeeds increased until gusts reached 30 knots.  The predictions were not for more than the low 20s, so we hoped this wind event would blow itself out as the afternoon progressed and we saw wind speeds climb to 38 knots.  The harbor was full of white caps and boats curvetted about their moorings, but the seas stayed fairly small due to the depth and lack of fetch in the caldera.

The wind increased as the day progressed, finally topping out at 38 knots.  We stayed in the boat all afternoon, reading.  When dinnertime rolled around, I made pasta from all the things left in our fridge, including bacon, goat cheese, and vegetables.  The wind was still howling when we went to bed, but we slept comfortably enough.

January 22, 2018

Sunrise in Puerto Escondido
We both woke up at 3:30 AM when the wind increased, but there was no serious problem and we went back to sleep.  I turned on the radio to listen to the net at 8:00, but there seemed no reason to get up since we were unlikely to go anywhere. We didn’t get up until after 9:00.  We were out of eggs and almost out of oatmeal, so I made grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches for breakfast.

The wind wasn’t too strong in the morning, so we decided to take the dinghy to shore for showers, water, and internet.  It was probably half a mile from our mooring to the dinghy dock.  We got there without getting wet, even though I was wearing long pants and shoes.  We filled the water bottle and then took showers.  The WiFi wasn’t working outside, so we spent the afternoon in the marina office, using the internet.  I uploaded photos for a blog post, which took hours.


By the time we finished with the internet and bought a few groceries it was nearly 4:30. The wind had grown much stronger and the basin was filled with whitecaps.  We still had to cross the entire mooring field to get back to Comet.  We knew it would be a wet ride, so I exchanged my jeans for a pair of shorts and put on my waterproof jacket.

It was a wild ride.  While no waves broke over the bow of the dinghy, splashes were constant.  We were drenched and water was sloshing around in the bottom of the dinghy.  My backpack was waterproof, so my belongings stayed dry.  Don’s pack got soaked.  His iPad, despite being in a water-resistant case, got wet.  It stopped working.  Don put it in a bag of rice and hoped for the best, but it was beyond salvaging.

The wind continued to howl.  We dried out and warmed up.  I heated up cans of chili for dinner, which we ate with crackers and goat cheese.  We spent the evening listening to podcasts.  At least one more day of wind was anticipated before we could move on.

January 23, 2018

Our Mooring in Puerto Escondido
Tuesday morning was windy and we made no attempt to leave the boat all day, having learned our lesson on the previous day’s dinghy ride.  I got up early and tried to get Gary’s weather report on the SSB receiver, but couldn’t make out his words through the static.  I stayed up, listened to the net, drank coffee and lounged until Don got up.  Then I made pancakes.

There was nothing much to do, so I occupied myself by dusting and scrubbing the galley floor.  We did a lot of reading and, after a dinner of tostadas, spent the evening listening to podcasts.  We were more than ready to get moving again and decided that the following day’s wind forecast didn’t preclude our departure.  We were, after all, a sailboat and sailboats need wind.

January 24, 2018

Electrical Improvements for New Marina in Puerto Escondido
A large passenger ship hailing another vessel on channel 16 woke me at 6:50.  I got up and started the water for coffee.  Don got up in time to listen to Gary’s weather report at 7:45, which was audible after he strung an antenna half the length of the boat.  The wind was predicted to be 16 to 19 knots, but lighter as we went south.  We decided to go for it.  About 8:30, we dropped the mooring ball and motored over to the fuel dock to take on water.  We offloaded our garbage and visited the store for last minute supplies.  Carmen, the proprietress, had just added a freezer, so we were able to buy enough meat to see us as far as La Paz.  By 9:45, we pulled away from the dock and headed out of Puerto Escondido.

Fast Sailing on a Windy Day
The seas were small in the morning, but the wind was constant and they did build as the day went on.  We saw winds as high as 20 knots, but nothing serious.  We made good time.  We contemplated stopping at Agua Verde, but decided to pass it by, since it was only 1:00 when we passed it.  This was somewhat disappointing, since Agua Verde is my favorite anchorage, but we wanted to get to La Paz before the high winds started again on Saturday.


Misty Mountains Near Punta San Telmo
We had a nice sail and reached speeds of up to 8 knots, even with a reefed main.  We contemplated stopping at Punta San Telmo, but ultimately decided to continue another couple of miles to Puerto Los Gatos.  We arrived at 5:00, just in time for happy hour.  While it had been warm enough to sail in shorts earlier in the day, I had all my layers on again by the time we dropped anchor.  I declined a beer and had a shot of tequila instead.  Thus fortified, I washed the breakfast dishes and then made steak, salad, and mashed yams for dinner. We were alone in the anchorage, so felt free to enjoy our music.

Pulling into Puerto Los Gatos

No comments:

Post a Comment