Saturday, December 29, 2018

REVELING IN MUSIC IN LA CRUZ

December 17, 2018

The Fitness Center in Bucerias
When Monday came, I had run out of excuses not to go to the gym.  As soon as the net was over, I put on my workout clothes and caught a combi to the Fitness Center in Bucerias.  The gym was very modern, with lots of Life Fitness equipment.  It was air conditioned, but a bit crowded.  There were kettlebells, but not enough space to swing them.  The free weights were a bit disappointing.  The racks were nice, but the weights were of smaller diameter than normal, which would have made them lower if there was any space on the floor to work with them, which there wasn’t.  I did some back squats, but we weren’t allowed to dump weights, which caused me difficulty when I reached the point of failure while doing box (bench, in this case) squats.  I couldn’t get up, so I had to wiggle into a kneeling position with 105 pounds on my back, bend over, and set the bar on a pair of low arms attached to the rack.  Then, I had to worm out from under it.  It was clear that I would not be lifting heavy at that gym.

I was, however, happy to take advantage of the pull-up machine, which allowed me to do assisted dips and pull-ups.  These movements had always defeated me and it was interesting to discover that I could only dip about half my body weight.  There was no way to do a kipping pull-up on the machine, but I needed 55 pounds of assist to do a strict pull-up.  It was clear that I wasn’t going to be able to lose enough weight to solve the problem.  I hoped that working with the machine would gradually make me stronger.

Three friends of mine from the marina showed up shortly after I arrived and it was nice to have company while I rowed and pedaled on the recumbent bike.  I could run for miles, but ten minutes on that bike left me sore, although the back squats might have had something to do with it.

Lobo and Charly Pena with Tatewari
I took the combi back home and spent the rest of the day writing and playing the guitar until the evening when it was time to go to the Octopus’s Garden to see Tatewari.  I had gone alone, but ended up sharing a table with people I knew.  Lobo was a surprise guest and he began the show, with the members of Tatewari joining him one by one.  Lobo told a story about how a three-year-old Esau of Tatewari had come to him while he was playing his guitar and asked, “How do you do that?” Apparently, his interest had never flagged.

Tatewari also had a flautist/saxophonist named Charly Pena joining them for the evening.  He was very good and they played well together, although the addition of the flute gave the music more of a jazz twist, which I, personally, could have done without.  I’d take flamenco over jazz any day.  They played music from their latest CD and, of course, I bought a copy.  Buying CDs in Mexico was always frustrating for me, as I had no way to play them until I got home or at least to a boat with a stereo.  The CD player from our house appeared to have left with some former resident.

Lobo joined the band, again, towards the end of the concert and he kept increasing the tempo of the music until the guitarists’ hands were nothing but blurs and I thought the flautist might explode.  It was quite exhilarating.  I had always loved Tatewari and it was exciting to see how much they had matured in the five years I had been following them.

December 18-19, 2018

I overslept on Tuesday and missed my run.  DHL was supposed to deliver the mattress topper I had ordered and I stayed home all day to wait for them.  I got a lot of writing and practicing done, but DHL never came.  They had been trying to deliver my package for a week and I was getting discouraged. I figured I would have to go somewhere to get it and bring it home in a cab.  Perhaps the worst part was that I really wanted to be able to order other things from Amazon and that was beginning to look impossible.  Tops on my list was the watch battery that I had been unable to find anywhere in Nayarit.

I went back to the gym on Wednesday and spent 25 minutes on the elliptical trainer to make up for my missed run the day before.  My friends were there, again, and it seemed like we all headed over there as soon as the net ended.
Farmers' Market in Bucerias


I walked up the street to the Chedraui after the gym to pick up a few things and stumbled across the farmers' market that had apparently moved from Lazaro Cardenas to the Chedraui parking lot.  I was hungry but resisted all the goodies.  I spent more time than I should have in the store, shopping for long-sleeved shirts.  It had been colder than usual in La Cruz and I needed something to wear when I went out at night.

By the time I got home, DHL had called to say that they would be delivering my box that afternoon.  Cherie had told them she would meet them at the Oxxo and guide them in.  I was extremely grateful for her help because I barely had time, as it was, to shower, dress, and eat before having to rush off to the marina to facilitate the season’s first music circle at the Poolside Deli.

Music Circle at the Poolside Deli
First Amazon Delivery in Mexico
Many cruisers had gone home for the holidays, but I was eventually joined by two gentlemen with guitars.  Neither of them brought any music to share, but we managed to make do with what we knew or I had brought.  We had a good time and played until 15:00.

My box had arrived by the time I got home, eight days after it initially arrived at the local office of DHL and fell off the tracking website.  I considered it a minor miracle.  It remained to be seen if the miracle could be repeated.  While I had managed to get Google to correct our street name on the map, the post office, at least, thought we lived on the street behind us.  Most interestingly, our phone bill was directed to the intersection of two streets that  (according to the map) ran parallel.  It was a miracle we ever received anything.

December 20, 2018

Another Dawn
Nativity Scene in the Plaza in La Cruz
Thursday was another running day.  I got up very early.  The sky was clear, so the sunrise wasn’t particularly interesting, but it was nice to see all the Christmas lights.  I ran home through the town and past the plaza where the town creche was located. In Mexico, the baby Jesus is absent from the nativity scene until Christmas day.

I spent the day practicing and doing things around the house.  Then I went to the marina to see The Zookeeper’s Wife at the free movie night.  There was wonderful music coming from the La Cruz Inn and I was tempted to detour but I really wanted to see the movie.  I would have to come earlier the following week to check out the band.

December 21, 2018

Karen and I were going to an estate sale in Puerto Vallarta on Friday.  We had an appointment for noon, so I skipped the net and went to the gym early so that I could be ready by 10:45.  There was a lot of Christmas traffic and the place we were going was off the beaten track, so we needed to allow plenty of time to find it.

Having located the house on my cellphone GPS, Karen and I left La Cruz at 11:00.  We needed the whole hour to get there.  The house, which had been billed as a $3.5 million estate was actually just a quaint, small house on the side of a steep hill in a funky Mexican neighborhood.  The street was steep and rocky and the house was at the back of a flag lot.  We might never have found it if they had not stationed someone on the road to flag down customers.
"Estate" Sale

No one had died.  The new owners simply didn’t like the furnishings, so were selling everything to make room for new.  All the items for sale were arranged in the pretty patio area.  Most of the items were too large for either of our homes, but we did get some good deals on colorful rugs and items of décor.  I bought a handwoven rug to hang on my bedroom wall.  My bedroom needed color to spruce it up and I had a big, bare wall.

View from the Roof
We toured the house out of curiosity.  It was quite small and only had two bedrooms.  The fabulous part was a covered patio on the roof with a full kitchen for entertaining and a 360 degree view.  If there hadn’t been workmen up there, we would have been inclined to linger.
After loading our treasures into Karen’s truck, we proceeded downtown to visit a store where Karen wanted to buy some beaded necklaces she had seen previously.  The store was actually a clothing boutique called Miss Aly that sold cotton gauze clothes as well as beaded jewelry.  Karen bought several necklaces and I bought a black jacket and one necklace to go with a blue outfit I had that didn’t match any of my blue jewelry.  The weather had been cooler than I had ever experienced in La Cruz and I needed something to cover my arms in the evenings.  We were double parked and had to hurry or I might have done more shopping because her clothes were cute and reasonably priced.
Plaza Caracol

Karen’s errand done, we continued to Plaza Caracol so that I could make one last attempt to find a battery for my watch.  I had been to every possible source in La Cruz, Bucerias, Mezcales, and Nuevo Vallarta without luck.  It was the week before X-mas and the parking lot was a zoo.  Karen dropped me off at the entrance and went to wait for me in the Oxxo parking lot across the street.  I hurried into the mall, looking for the Radio Shack.  I had no idea where it was located in the mall.  The first thing I saw was a watch shop.  I stopped there.  It took them about ten minutes of digging, but they eventually dredged up the correct battery for me.  One hundred pesos later, I was headed back to Karen’s truck.

By the time we got home, I barely had a chance to eat lunch before it was time to walk to the Octopus’ Garden for a gathering of Women Who Sail.  After spending a couple of hours chatting and listening to inspiring talks by female sailors, Cherie and I rushed home because she was cooking dinner for a friend.  We munched on veggies and quinoa and then Simon drove us to Rhythm and Blues in Bucerias so I could perform at their open mic. 

There were only two of us playing that night.  The other guy was playing when we arrived.  When he finished his set, I played for a while and then I sang while he played.  We had some trouble with the sound equipment, but we pressed on although I had to choose between amplifying my guitar and using my remote mic.  Eventually, a couple of other people joined us for the ever popular Wagon Wheel and Will the Circle Be Unbroken.  We were having a good time, but Cherie was cold and tired so I had to go when my ride left.  It had been a long, busy day.

December 22, 2018

Morning Moon
I started the day with a couple of laps around the marina.  It was the day after the winter solstice and the dawn was very late.  I had a chance to enjoy the Christmas lights and the full moon before it got light.

I did a lot of writing and guitar practicing and worked on another musical project for most of the day.  I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the day bed on the upstairs patio while I worked.  It was peaceful and comfy up there and warmer than downstairs where I got chilled when sitting still. 

Diego Mondragon and Band at the Octopus' Garden
In the evening, Karen and I went to see Diego Mondragon at the Octupus’ Garden.  His show was billed as a night of passion and romance.  Diego played the violin and he had drafted several local musicians to play back-up, including Mimi of Tatewari.  Mimi got just as much applause as Diego Mondragon and Pedro and Enrique from Punta Mita added a lot to the show, too.  The poor singer had a rough evening.  A lot of the material wasn’t really in her range and her microphone kept dropping out.  Their rendition of Besame Mucho ended up being an instrumental until Diego stopped playing and sang the last chorus.  The songs were classic Latin standards and all the musicians were very good, but the many technical difficulties interrupted the flow of the performance and it somehow fell flat.  I would definitely give Diego Mondragon another chance in the future.

There was a full moon bonfire at the beach and I dragged my guitar over there after the show.  The whole town was rocking with very loud posadas and there was no way I could compete with that.  I stayed for a few minutes and chatted with friends before heading home when the party started to break up around 22:30.   The music in town continued until sometime after 3:00 AM, although it wasn’t loud enough at our house to keep me awake.

December 23, 2018

I slept late on Sunday morning.  There had been a lot of late nights and early mornings the previous week and I wanted to catch up on sleep before beginning again.  I did very little all day except play guitar and write.  I skipped the market but did walk to the grocery shop to pick up a few items in the late afternoon.  
Christmas Potluck at the Octopus' Garden

Aruna and Wayland from the Octopus’ Garden were having a Christmas potluck that evening.  I took a bottle of merlot and some cream cheese slathered in mango salsa to go with crackers.  It was a very nice party.  They had decorated the tables with Christmas centerpieces and cooked a real turkey dinner.  We drank wine and chatted while Christmas music played.  After dinner, there was a gift exchange for those who wanted to participate.  I love being in Mexico, but it was nice to have a familiar Christmas gathering for a change.  The Octopus’ Garden was always a magical setting and it lent itself as well to hosting a Christmas party as it did to being a music venue.  The party was a great way to kick off our holiday celebrations.






No comments:

Post a Comment