Friday, February 1, 2019

BACK TO THE BOAT – LA CRUZ TO TENACATITA ON SCOUT


January 21, 2019

Miss Aly's in Vallarta
Monday was a busy day. Scout finally managed to leave La Paz when the port opened on Monday.  I went to the gym after the net and then rushed home to meet Cherie.  She and I had plans to go shopping in Puerto Vallarta.  We were both looking for good quality, 100% cotton clothing in basic colors and Karen had introduced me to a shop called Miss Aly’s in Vallarta that fit the bill.

The Church in La Cruz
Traffic was heavy and it took us an hour to get there.  I managed to locate the store again and we both did some shopping.  I bought a blue dress and a white pants outfit, along with a necklace I had admired the first time I was there.  Cherie found a couple of things, too.  After shopping, we ate breakfast for lunch at a spot called Freddy Toucan’s in downtown P.V.  They had good crepes and all kinds of breakfast items.  I settled for a spinach, bacon, and cheese omelette.  We headed towards home after lunch, stopping to shop at La Comer along the way.

It was 17:00 by the time we got home and I had a busy evening ahead of me.  I took a short nap.  I had really wanted to go see Lobo and Esau at the Octopus’s Garden, but I had promised Katrina that I would bring my guitar to the full moon bonfire that evening.  I also had a dance class scheduled and I just couldn’t do everything.  I went to the first hour of the dance class and then headed for the beach.
Full Moon Bonfire at the Beach in La Cruz

I had packed my guitar into the car before I went to my dance class, expecting that Cherie would arrive at the bonfire ahead of me.  She was not there when I arrived around 20:15.  I borrowed a guitar and played a little bit but it was the first time I had ever felt old in La Cruz.  All the other musicians there were younger and were playing songs that I did not know. 

Cherie eventually arrived with my guitar and we played music for a couple of hours, but I did not play much because I didn’t know the songs and it was too dark to follow visually.  Still, it was a lovely night and a nice bonfire.  My only real complaint was that some sort of insect was biting me and I itched for days afterward.

January 22-23, 2019

Paradice, Vegan Ice Cream
I went to a seminar on weather on Tuesday afternoon and then stopped at the vegan ice cream store because scoops of ice cream were two for one on Tuesdays.  I had pineapple ginger and a coconut milk turmeric one that was quite rich and delicious.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening going through Victor’s music and typing up anything that I wanted to keep.  I meant to go to the Brittania but ended up staying home.  I knew that I was about to be on a boat full of people, again, and I was savoring my time alone.

Ankle Bracelet from Guitar Strings
Clam Shell Gift Box
I went to the gym, as usual, on Wednesday and got a ride home with my friend, Fred.  That gave me a little more time to relax before dashing off to the Poolside Deli to play guitar with Rick and Marilyn. 














Marilyn had brought me an ankle bracelet she had made from the beads at the end of used guitar strings.  It was a thoughtful gift for a guitar player 
and was presented in a lovely gift box made from a gold painted clam shell.  It was always disappointing when no one new showed up to play with us, but we still had a good time playing for a couple of hours.

La Cascada, the House I Would Have to Buy If for Sale
I carried my music and guitar back home and had time to get off a blog post before rushing to my dance class.  Greg, from Scout, called about 16:15 to let me know that they were rounding Punta Mita and would be arriving within a couple of hours and would call later to make plans for the evening.

I still had not heard from Scout by the time I left for my class and, by the time the class was over, they had eaten dinner and we were all exhausted.  We agreed to meet in the morning to listen to the net.  I grabbed a couple of indeterminate (but delicious) meat tacos from the cart by the bus stop on my way home and attempted to go to bed early.

January 24, 2019

Morning on the Malecon
I got up early and ran around the marina a couple of times.  No one was awake when I arrived at Scout, so I sat in the cockpit, playing with my phone, for forty-five minutes until everyone got up.  We lounged in the cockpit, drinking coffee (electrolyte solution for me) and listening to the net.  Greg went up to the office to check in at 9:00.  When he returned, we walked up to town and ate a lovely breakfast at Café Shule’l.

Fishing Boats Decorated for the Blessing of the Fleet











After breakfast, we walked over to the port captain’s office where Greg checked in and back out, as we planned to leave over the weekend.  The fishing docks were a festive place.  The boats were parading to Bucerias for the blessing of the fleet and were colorfully decorated with flags and balloons.  Someone kept shooting off a cannon.  There was a party atmosphere.

I left Greg, Bill, and Susan at the fish market and walked home where I spent the afternoon writing, doing laundry, and practicing the guitar.  I needed to get everything in order before sailing south where I might be out of contact for as much as a week.
Geo Playing with the Band at La Cruz Inn

Thursday night was movie night and the La Cruz Inn had live music.  The crew of Scout agreed to meet for dinner at the Inn before the movie.  I got there first and grabbed the last available table on the street where the musicians were set up.  I never caught the name of the band, but they were pretty good.  They had a good lead guitarist and a female singer.  They played standard Mexican and Spanish songs.  Geo (of Luna Rumba) was sitting at a table near the band.  When my friends commented that the band was good, I told them, “Yeah, but the best musician in town in sitting there in the black hat.”  After a few numbers, Geo went to his car and got his violin.  Soon, he was playing with the band.  After a display of virtuosity that left everyone dumbfounded, the guitarist turned to him and asked, “Have you ever played that song before?”  With Geo, it just didn’t matter.  Everyone was suitably impressed.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t hang around because we needed to get to the marina to see that night’s feature, Baby Driver.  It wasn’t a great film, but it had some fabulous stunt driving and nobody was tempted to fall asleep.  I had accidentally left my bicycle at the La Cruz Inn, so we walked back to fetch it and then I stayed the night on Scout, rather than risk walking or pedaling home in the dark.

January 25, 2019

Dawn from Scout
I left Scout early and went home to go to the gym, finish packing, and close up the house.  We were planning to leave very early the next morning, so I needed to join the boat that evening.  At 16:30, I walked down to the taxi stand by the highway and picked up a taxi.  He drove me home to collect my gear and then delivered me to the marina.


Once I stowed my gear on the boat, we enjoyed a cocktail and then set off to Enrique’s for dinner.  Somehow, in all his years of coming to La Cruz, Greg had never been to Enrique’s before.  We ate coconut shrimp and shrimp stuffed fish roll and everyone enjoyed the food immensely.  Enrique’s was one of my favorite spots.  It wasn’t the cheapest restaurant in town, but the quality of the food far exceeded the price and the service was always good.

Bill and Me, Friends of Friends
The more I learned about Bill, the more I became sure he had to know my friends, the Markmans.  Finally, I just had to ask.  It turned out that they had been neighbors and friends growing up.  I got a kick of messaging them with a picture of the two of us together.  The world is small and the sailing world is tiny.

After dinner, we rushed back to the La Cruz Inn to watch the dancing horses.  There had been dancing horses in La Cruz for as long as I had been coming there, but they had suddenly become very popular.  The La Cruz Inn was now featuring them on Friday nights from 18:00 to 20:00.  They had an even bigger crowd than they had had the night before for the music.  All the tables were filled lining both sides of the street and many people were standing in the plaza to watch (including us.)  They were pretty to watch, but I always felt guilty, knowing they had suffered a great deal in the training process.  The riders still cued them with cruel spurs.

We had arrived late and only caught the end of the show.  Then we strolled back to the Mar y Sol market and bought what provisions we could for our trip.  They had all the produce, dry goods, and beverages we needed, but nothing in the way of meat for entrees.  We would have to make do with the roasted chicken Bill and Susan had bought and what was leftover on Scout until we got to Barra de Navidad.

We retired as soon as we got back to the boat because we planned to rise at 3:00.  Remarkably, we were all yawning and had no trouble going to sleep.

January 26, 2019

Sun Rising Over Cabo Corrientes
We rose at 3:00 and security was already at the slip to take our keys.  By 3:30, we were dressed and underway.  We motored across the bay towards Cabo Corrientes, arriving there at sunrise.  While we had some wind, it was dead behind us, so Greg elected to continue motoring, although we did raise the main and gybed down wind to some degree to get some assist from the sail.  It was a cool day and I stayed in leggings and long sleeves nearly until we reached Chamela.  About noon, Greg made us an egg casserole with hamburger and onions.


Anchorage in Chamela
We saw some dolphins, turtles, and a few whales, but nothing spectacular.  We pulled into Chamela just in time for happy hour.  There were only five or six other boats in the anchorage.  We enjoyed our drinks and then devoured the roasted chicken and fixings that Bill and Susan had procured in La Cruz.  The rotisserie chicken places in La Cruz sold a complete meal (chicken, rice, potatoes, salsa, and tortillas) for 140 pesos.  It fed the four of us with enough chicken left over to put in the pasta sauce the next night.  It was a beautiful night with no bugs and we sat in the cockpit eating and chatting.  

January 27, 2019
Dawn in Chamela Anchorage

I got up early to watch the sun rise.  We were in no big hurry to leave on Sunday morning, but did head for Tenacatita before breakfast.  I cooked banana pancakes as we headed south. 

Departing Chamela
There wasn’t much wind to begin with but soon it picked up and we had a nice sail all the way to Tenacatita, arriving early enough to have a nice swim while the sun was still high enough to dry us afterward.  The water was pleasant and I picked up where I had left off in my swimming regimen in La Paz, doing four laps around Scout.  I was still challenging myself to swim one lap further each day, but Scout was a lot longer than Comet and those laps seemed endless.

The Copa del Sol (Cup of the Sun)
 We had to get creative when it came dinnertime.  Susan and I made spaghetti out of the leftover chicken and whatever else we could scrounge and salad from the lettuce and veggies I had brought from home.  Cherie had gone to Canada just before I left and I had taken all the perishables to the boat so they wouldn’t go to waste.  We cracked a couple of bottles of red wine and dined in the cockpit, although we had to douse the lights to discourage the mosquitoes.  After dinner, we retreated below and spent the rest of the evening watching The Life of Brian that Greg had saved on a hard drive.  It was quite late by the time we went to bed, which was rare for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment