Friday, February 15, 2019

BARRA DE NAVIDAD TO LA CRUZ – SAILING UPHILL


February 4, 2019

Cannons awoke me at 6:00 on Monday.  In Mexico, they set off cannons to frighten away evil spirits on holidays.  Monday was Constitution Day in Mexico, which commemorates the signing of the constitution that returned the land to the peasants (and created endless land title squabbles for the next century plus.) 
Water Hazard at Dawn

I got up to get in a last run before we left Barra.  I ran four miles through the golf course before dawn.  Bill and Susan were up by the time I got back, since they needed to leave by 8:45 to catch their flight back to L.A.  We all drank coffee and they stayed long enough to receive one last visit from the French baker.  I passed, having made another batch of hard boiled eggs.
Early Morning Colimilla
I finally found hot water at the shower in the hotel spa.  I took advantage of that to wash and re-braid my hair.  As my braid was then over two feet long, I required conditioner to be able to comb it out and that required hot water to rinse out of my hair.  On long passages with no showers, I wrapped it in a bandana to keep it from getting shaggy.

We spent the day doing last minute chores.  The laundry was closed for the holiday, so I did a load of washing in buckets while Greg used the internet in the hotel lobby to take care of business.  We made tacos from chilorio and leftover bean dip for dinner.

So many cruisers had departed after the Superbowl that the WiFi, which hadn’t worked since we arrived, suddenly began to operate perfectly well.  We spent the evening with our noses buried in our devices.

February 5, 2019

Morning in the Barra Marina
The cannons woke me, again, at 6:00.  I got up early, but it wasn’t a running day so I merely sat in the cockpit, drinking bouillon, and enjoyed the internet connection.  We were leaving that morning and had chores to do but there was no hurry.  It was only a few hours to Tenacatita.


Rounding the Point Between Barra and Tenacatita
We checked out and left the marina just before 11:00.  Leaving the bay, we motored straight into the wind but, after we rounded the point, we were able to fall off just enough to sail the rest of the way.  We had a leisurely sail across Tenacatita Bay and dropped anchor just in time for lunch.  It was quite breezy and, by the time I had made quesadillas for lunch, I found it too cool to want to swim.  We relaxed and enjoyed the scenery.  I practiced the guitar and read while Greg took a nap.

Sunset in Tenacatita

The sunset was gorgeous enough that I paused my dinner preparations long enough to watch it.  I made Tuscan sauteed chicken breast fillets for dinner with fried plantains and salad.  The data connection was surprisingly good in Tenacatita Bay and we managed to sit in the cockpit and watch Trump’s State of the Union address on my phone via YouTube.  In 2016, I couldn’t even get a voice signal there.  Technology was improving rapidly in Mexico.

February 6, 2019

With no cannons to wake me, I slept until nearly 7:00 but still managed to rise in time to wrap myself in a blanket and watch the dawn from the cockpit.  It was quite chilly (probably 67 degrees) before the sun rose and I needed long pants and a fleece.
Sunrise from the Cockpit of Scout

Greg got up in time for the net and I made banana pancakes after that.  Greg started up the generator to charge the batteries and make water and I sat down to write while there was power for the computer.

We were too lazy to bother putting the dinghy in the water, so spent the day on the boat.  I swam six laps around the boat, forgetting, once again, to wear my goggles.  The water was quite pleasant, especially near the surface where it was probably 80 degrees.  Whales and dolphins were playing in the bay and people would get on the radio and alert everyone when they saw a whale.  The anchorage was a lively place with lots of people swimming.  One woman reported being circled by dolphins as she swam.  Unfortunately, I had no such company as I circled the boat.

We enjoyed a colorful sunset and then prepared dinner.  We waited until after sunset so that we wouldn’t be ready for bed at 20:00.  I made steak, salad, and smashed potatoes (potatoes cooked in the microwave, flattened, and fried in butter) for dinner.  We were out of red wine but shared a bottle of pinot grigio.  Lazy days at anchor were quite enjoyable if one didn’t get stuck out there for long stretches.

February 7, 2019

I got up early to watch the dawn.  If I hadn’t being seeing pictures of snow in the San Francisco Bay Area, I’d have been tempted to say it was downright cold.  I wrapped myself in a blanket and watched the dew drip off the bimini.

Motoring out of Tenacatita Bay
As soon a Greg was up, I made coffee and baked some corn muffins.  Even so, we managed to haul anchor and sail out of the bay just before our anticipated departure of 9:00.  There wasn’t enough wind to sail, so we motored north towards Chamela.  Dragon’s Toy had left an hour earlier and we could see them in the distance.  We gradually overtook them as the day progressed.  There were no wind waves (no wind) but the swells were bigger than usual and we rolled a lot.  Still, the weather was warm and the scenery lovely.  I had no complaints.  I was so relaxed it was all I could do to stay awake.  It was hard to believe I had been stressed just a few months before.  Even La Cruz was stressful compared to cruising the coast of Mexico.
Passing Dragon's Toy

Dragon's Toy at Anchor in Chamela











We pulled into Chamela Bay in time for lunch.  Greg took a nap and I took a swim.  Then we put the dinghy in the water.  There was still quite a bit of swell, which required me to lower it to the water at precisely the right moment to avoid tangling it in the lifelines.  Then we had to repeat the process with the motor.  Once we had the dinghy assembled and running, we collected Cary and Tom from Dragon’s Toy and went ashore to check out the town of Perula.

While I had been to the beach on a couple of other occasions, I had never realized there was a town there.  We took the dinghy up the estuary to where the pangas tied up.  It was low tide and we bottomed out.  We had to get out of the dinghy and walk the last twenty-five yards.  We had forgotten the oars and were out of luck once the water got too shallow for the motor.  Fortunately, the water was less than a foot deep.
The Plaza in Punta Perula

 We walked through a beachfront restaurant and a couple of blocks up to the main road through Perula. It was a sleepy place.  There were a few restaurants along the highway, but most were closed at that hour.  There were some good grocery stores and a couple of farmacias, but no touristy shops, which was refreshing.  We walked as far as the main square before we got hot and decided it was time for a cold one and headed back to the beach.
The Beach at Perula
We strolled along the beach to a restaurant near where we had left the dinghy and ordered an early dinner. I was in the mood for a breaded fish fillet but the others ate shrimp.  In Jalisco and Nayarit, it was easy to get sick of shrimp.  I always got enough to last me through the months spent in the USA.

Tom, Cary, and Greg in a Palapa in Perula
We returned to the boat before sunset and sat in the cockpit reading and surfing the internet.  The connection was surprisingly good considering the only cell tower I had seen was in the main square. There wasn’t much of a sunset to watch and I actually dozed until after it got dark.  The night was uncommonly warm and dry and we stayed in the cockpit until it was time to retire.  I was tempted to sleep out there, but the soft mattress finally lured me below decks.
The Anchorage and Islands in Chamela Bay













February 8, 2019

Dragon's Toy Leaving at Dawn
Once again, I got up to sit in the cockpit and watch the dawn.  Dragon’s Toy was motoring out of the bay as I came on deck. They were headed for Ipala to get a head start on rounding Cabo Corrientes on Saturday morning.  With a faster boat, we planned to remain in Chamela’s superior anchorage until midnight and then head for Cabo Corrientes, hoping to round the cape about dawn.
 
Dawn was very pink and much warmer than the day before.  We lounged in the cockpit through coffee and breakfast and then I did eight laps around the boat.  I finally remembered to wear my goggles, which allowed me to swim the crawl without getting salt in my eyes, although I still got plenty in my mouth.  I figured I ought to practice swimming the crawl, but it was by far my least favorite stroke. 

I swam when at anchor but swimming would never be my preferred form of exercise.  The only part I really liked about it was looking across the water from that low angle when it was calm and the surface glassy.  With my goggles on, I could see that the water was very clear and a beautiful shade of blue green.  The morning sun was just warm enough to dry me when I got out, but not hot enough to burn.  Scout had a hot, freshwater shower on the swim step which was the ultimate luxury.  I was getting very spoiled.

I spent the early afternoon writing and then Greg made lunch.  It seemed like we had so much time to kill and then, suddenly, it was almost time to leave.  I made a quick dinner of chili and grilled cheese sandwiches and we pulled out of the anchorage just after sunset, hoping to reach Cabo Corrientes at dawn when calm conditions were forecast.

The weather report was predicting calm conditions all night, but there was a large swell running and a steady wind on the nose.  I stayed up to stand on the bow and keep a look out for the reef as we exited the bay.  Once we were clear of the reef and headed north, I went below to catch a few winks on the settee as we bashed along.  I slept for the first hour or so but then it got rougher and awakened me.  Greg came below to rouse me for a change of watch just after midnight.

February 9, 2019

Rather than set a watch schedule, we had agreed to just request relief whenever we grew tired.  It was only a one-night passage, so we didn’t need to worry too much about getting enough sleep.  It was chilly and very dark when I came up at 00:30.   There was only a sliver of a moon and it was very damp.  The wind and swell had not abated.  I had all my clothes on and was considering putting on socks.  Scout’s engine didn’t heat the floor of the cockpit like Comet’s did.

We pushed on through the night, followed by Pura Vida several miles behind us.  Dragon’s Toy had left the previous morning and was spending the night in Ipala.  I had intended to stick it out until 4:00, but Greg couldn’t sleep and came back on deck at 3:30.  Shortly after I went down, I felt water on my face.  I got up and closed the porthole over my head, thinking that would solve the problem.  I didn’t realize that all the hatches aft of the mast were open.  The next big wave gushed through the three hatches in the main salon, drenching Greg’s (fortunately closed) computer, the settee and the galley.  I had to get up and mop up the water before returning to my nap.

The wind and seas grew rougher with the daylight and we saw nearly 20 knots of wind coming around Cabo Corrientes.  It always seemed like we were home once we rounded Cabo Corrientes, but it took us another five hours of damp and windy motoring to reach La Cruz.  Dragon’s Toy had left Ipala at dawn and were two hours behind us.

I stayed up until 9:30 and then went back down to take a nap.  That far into the bay, it was calmer and I slept well until Greg slowed the motor, which woke me just in time to prepare to land in the La Cruz marina.  I piloted the boat while Greg prepared the lines and fenders.  He got things organized just in time to take the helm and make the last two turns into the slip.  I really didn’t want to take responsibility for parking Scout on a windy day.  Even Greg had a tough time backing into our slip near the seawall on Dock 3.  It was windy enough that the wind overcame the bow thrusters and we needed help from line handlers on the dock to get the boat secured.

We were hungry and tired when we arrived.  Showers were the first order of business and then we went in search of breakfast.  Unfortunately, we had missed breakfast, so had to settle for shrimp and arrachera tacos at the Ballena Blanca.  Then we went back to the boat for a nap.  I really meant to go home and do laundry but ended up lounging around the boat until it was time for a cocktail and a lasagna dinner at Falconi’s with Tom and Cary from Dragon’s Toy.

February 10, 2019

Dawn in Marina La Cruz
I got up early on Sunday morning and sat in the cockpit, using the internet before everyone else in the marina overwhelmed the system.  I munched a leftover corn muffin, made some coffee, and waited for Greg to ready himself to visit the Sunday market.  We bought churros at the food court near the marina entrance, which tided us over until we had worked our way through the throngs of people to the food court at the other end.  I bought a baguette and some raspberries on the way but my true destination was the Italian meat vendor out on the end of the breakwater who sold porchetta.  I bought a double portion and we went back to the boat and made porchetta sandwiches for lunch.
Dancer at the Market
Figures at the Market
With raspberries threatening to go to mush if I didn’t get them in the freezer immediately, I packed up my things and we headed to the taxi stand.  The taxis were busy with all the tourists attending the market and it took about a half an hour of waiting in the hot sun to finally get a taxi to take my luggage the short distance to my home.  It was good to be home.

I took a shower and spent the afternoon doing laundry and trying, unsuccessfully, to nap.  Every time I started to doze off, someone came home or it was time to change the laundry.  The last of my clothes got dry just in time to catch a ride to the marina on the back of Cherie’s scooter.  All our food was on the boat and I went back there to make chicken in green mole from the chicken we had thawed and never eaten the night we left Chamela.

I meant to go listen to the Cuban band at the Green Tomate on Sunday night but they started late and, by then, I was too tired to walk the three blocks, much less dance.  We sat in the cockpit and listened to the Cuban band compete with the music coming from Oso’s.  They sounded good and I would have to get there some night when I had more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment